Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How fast is 1000BaseT supposed to be?

I fully realize this may be a stupid question and I might be about to embarrass myself, but that also requires me to care. Here's the thing:

By my math, the transfer speed over a my gigabit ethernet connection to my network backup drive ought to be a **** of a lot faster than it seems to be. I don't notice much of a speed increase from the 100BaseT connection.

So I guess I'll put it this way: How long should it take a 2.6Gb file to transfer over a 1000BaseT connection to my hard drive? Because it took about three minutes. And by my math--2.6 Gigabytes of bits, divided by 1x10^9 bits/sec--it should have taken about 22 seconds.

Is it the HD speed? Can the HD simply not write as fast as the data is flowing to it and that's the bottleneck?

Commence embarrassment.

Nehalem Mac Pro 8-core 2.26, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 640Gb 7200 SATA, 6x1Gb RAM, Radeon 4870

Posted on Oct 8, 2009 10:38 PM

2 replies

Oct 8, 2009 10:50 PM in response to texvanwinkle

Yeah, I think I've answered my own question here, but I'm happy to let others chime in as well.

I'm running a Linkstation Pro Duo, and I see in the specs that its max txfr speed is 480Mbps, which my converter widget says is about 57MBps. 1 Gbps looks to be about 119MBps. So my network HD can only write about half as fast as it's getting the data from my MP and router. Is that about right? If so, lovely. It would be nice to be aware of some things before buying stuff.

How fast is 1000BaseT supposed to be?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.