Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bridge between two airport extremes?

I need ethernet access in a spot of the apartment that does not have a network socket. It also happens to be close to a weak spot on my wireless network. Normally to get network there I would use an old base station with dd-wrt as a wireless bridge, problem is I would now prefer better performance (and limit amount of .g hosts on my wireless).

My current set up:

- Airport Extreme (.n) in a switching cabinet in my hallway
- 100/100 internet via ethernet in the wan port
- gigabit lan in other ports
- Wireless getting close to 10MB/s internet speeds with macs that support .n networks

I know I can extend my wireless by adding another Airport Extreme, but how much would this slow the speeds (I would imagine it has some effect)?

Could I also bridge the connection to the ethernet ports of this second Airport extreme to get an ethernet connection to my media player?

Macbook Pro / iMac C2D, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Oct 9, 2009 6:33 AM

1 reply

Oct 9, 2009 6:36 AM in response to dropadrop

I know I can extend my wireless by adding another Airport Extreme, but how much would this slow the speeds (I would imagine it has some effect)?

If you use 802.11n's "extend network" feature, the penalty is not extreme.

If you use 802.11g's WDS, the link will cut your wireless bandwidth in half.

Could I also bridge the connection to the ethernet ports of this second Airport extreme to get an ethernet connection to my media player?

Yes

bridge between two airport extremes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.