You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random white screen flashes

Since upgrading to 10.6, I've noticed my screen flashing, seemingly randomly. It's rather annoying, and I don't want to trigger any seizures. Is this a new OS thing, or is there some bug with my system?

thanks

Macbook Pro, Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Oct 9, 2009 4:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2009 4:25 PM

Hello OS:

I doubt that it is related to the upgrade. It sounds like a hardware issue.

Boot from the OS X DVD while holding the "D" key down. That will invoke the Apple hardware checker.

Barry
11 replies

Oct 9, 2009 6:44 PM in response to Barry Hemphill

It definitely feels like an OS thing. Sort of like the visual "error" sound. For example when there's a dialog window open, and the application that spawned it cannot be interacted with until closing the dialog window, every time I click the application (outside of the dialog window) it flashes.
What's weird is if I record a video of this using SnapzXPro, you can't see the flashes in SnapzXPro...

Dec 1, 2009 4:45 PM in response to Nagon

Same issue with me. However, the white flashes were not random. My screen flashed every five minutes. I was stumped for weeks. Then, I opened and watched my Activity Monitor within the Application/Utility folder. After five minutes of watching, I discovered that 'Dashboard Client' became active and used a small percent of CPU during these flashes. So, I opened my Dashboard and found a widget was making a web call every five minutes! I removed this widget from my Dashboard and this removed the flash issue.

Feb 2, 2010 7:54 AM in response to OS Lucinity

Like several others, I have Universal Access > "Enable access for assistive devices" turned on, with "Flash the screen when an alert sound occurs" turned off.

Twice since upgrading to 10.6, I've experienced this screen flash about once a minute. The first time I couldn't find what was causing it. Restart cleared the problem.

This time I starting clicking each active icon in my hidden Dock (very, very tiny icons exceeding the width of my monitor). When I got half way across, I noticed the tiny FileMaker Pro Advanced icon bouncing. It had apparently been bouncing all along, but it was too tiny to appear with my Dock hidden. Clicking the FileMaker icon revealed a dialog telling me about a lost connection to a remote server. Dismissing the dialog stopped the flashing.

It seems clear that the screen flash was in place of a system alert sound even though I have that option disabled. Time will tell whether to point the bug finger at FileMaker or Mac OS X. I suspect the latter.

-- Ward

Random white screen flashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.