Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PC Version of Photoshop CS4 Suite on a MAC with Windows Vista Via BootCamp?

Trying to decide wither to give Adobe another $1,400 for a MAC version of their Creative Suite or just use my PC Version on my MacBook Pro and iMac 24".

Either way I am spending money ($350 for Vista Ultimate 64BIT, or $1,400 for the Suite).

Technically I could installed Vista 64 Ultimate under BootCamp, VMFusion or Parallels, and then install my Windows Version of the Adobe Suite I already own and use it on the MAC since you are allowed to have 2 installs on the same Windows OS. I have 1 on a PC and thus would use the other on the MAC.

I wonder however how well Windows and Photoshop in general will play with the MAC via Bootcamp... and will I be able to share files between the Windows OS and MAC OS easily?

Or Should I just let Adobe fully take advantage of me and purchase the MAC platform Version of the exact same software I already own for PC (BTW, I need to keep it on PC as I have to use PC's for certain things and need a PC version).

Its a "$350 Vs $1,400 decision"... I guess I am looking for a little advise from people that might know how Vista64 and CS4 play with bootcamp, Parallels and or VMFusion and what is the best Ultimate option (money aside).

09 Macbook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.6.1), Various iPods, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iMac 24 (2009)

Posted on Oct 10, 2009 2:21 AM

6 replies

Oct 10, 2009 7:01 AM in response to NASCAR3D

Cross platform upgrades are cheaper. But I don't know about multi-use dual platform licensing. Take it up with Adobe.

You don't need Ultimate. All you need is Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade ($119). I picked up Vista Ultimate with free Windows 7 for $200, but that was to support dual socket processors. Vista doesn't cut it, luckily W7 is 2 wks away.

"Boot Camp" is just a means for installing and running Windows natively. Not exactly the same as on a PC but very close.

I'd stay with PC. You could build an i7 and use CS4 64-bit Windows and take advantage of Quadro CX if you need to.

Oct 10, 2009 7:21 AM in response to The hatter

I have talked to Adobe they said I can transfer the license to either Mac or PC but cannot hav it on both platforms without purchasing a new license ( full version). So $1,400 for the suite that I require for work.

However I can install windows on the mac and use my PC license if I have not used up the OS license (you are allowed to have 2 copies running on the same OS.

Hence the question. I have plenty of powerful PC's and 2 brand new Macs with 4GB of RAM, the problem is I need Adobe software on both PC and Mac. So either I have a bootcamp version of windows which takes up valueable HD space on top of Adobe's software space needs, or I spend $1,400 and just have Adobe to deal with...

Dec 6, 2009 9:52 AM in response to NASCAR3D

I have the Windows version of CS4 installed in a VMWare Fusion virtual machine (running Windows 7 Ultimate) on my MacBook Pro. While it's not quite as fast or responsive as the native versions I have on the Mac side (I installed the Windows version mostly out of curiosity), it's quite usable.

That being said, you're probably going to be better off using your current Windows versions on your Mac. The reason doesn't have anything to do with the software, but with Adobe. Adobe is a complete mess right now. Their Better Business Bureau rating is currently a D and the BBB recommends caution when dealing with them. They are correct in that. Adobe's Customer Service is worse than useless. They claim they're working on fixing it, but so far, I haven't seen any improvement at all. The went so far as to post a public apology from Lambert Walsh, Adobe's VP of Technical Services, on their website, though that seems to have been removed now. Adobe has always had very poor service, but in the past couple of years, it's gone from bad to horrible. You can indeed switch your license from Windows to Mac. I did it a little over 3 years ago (you're allowed to switch 5 times in a lifetime) and it took many hours on the phone (dropped calls, failure to call me back, endless time on hold) and 4 lost faxes before it finally worked. I understand things are much worse now; take a look at the forums on Adobe's website: http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/adobedotcom_feedback

PC Version of Photoshop CS4 Suite on a MAC with Windows Vista Via BootCamp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.