Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail doesn't show names from the Address Book

When receiving emails from people who appear in my Address Book - the "From" field still shows default names set by the senders, instead of showing the names as they appear in my Address Book.
When composing a new email though - Mail does recognize the names

Is there a way to enforce mail to replace the names shown?

Thanks,
Fade.

Early 2008 MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Oct 10, 2009 5:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2009 2:46 PM

Greetings,

No, there is no way to do this. The "From:" field will always be exactly what is specified by the account of the person sending you the email, even if you don't have it that way in Address Book. That is perfectly normal and is valid for every email client I've ever used.

The only reason you see the name you have in Address Book when sending an email is because you sent email to that person before, so it's drawing that information from the Previous Recipient list.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2009 2:46 PM in response to FadeCreativeCombo

Greetings,

No, there is no way to do this. The "From:" field will always be exactly what is specified by the account of the person sending you the email, even if you don't have it that way in Address Book. That is perfectly normal and is valid for every email client I've ever used.

The only reason you see the name you have in Address Book when sending an email is because you sent email to that person before, so it's drawing that information from the Previous Recipient list.

Mail doesn't show names from the Address Book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.