Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant open external hard drive iphoto library

I am using Iphoto Version 8 (part of ilife 09). My photo library on my macbook works fine, but when I try to open another iPhoto library from an external hard drive, I get this message below:

You have made changes to your photo library using a newer version of iPhoto. Please quit and use the latest version of iPhoto.

Anyone have ideas for me?

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Oct 10, 2009 2:06 PM

8 replies

Oct 10, 2009 4:07 PM in response to LarryHN

Thank you. Can you give me a bit more detail?

I backed up my iphoto library on the external drive.

Which iphoto library do I launch and try and rebuild? Now i have the library on the macbook and 2 on the external drive. ON the external drive, the one I just backed up works. But the other library still gives me same message when I try and open it. It says the stuff about using a newer version in my original post.

Oct 10, 2009 4:15 PM in response to rmkay

Thank you. Can you give me a bit more detail?

I backed up my iphoto library on the external drive.

Which iphoto library do I launch and try and rebuild?

Neither - launch iPhoto
Launch iPhoto while depressing the option and command keys

Now i have the library on the macbook and 2 on the external drive. ON the external drive, the one I just backed up works.

But the other library still gives me same message when I try and open it. It says the stuff about using a newer version in my original post.

The library that is not working is the one you should back up and rebuild -- the "other library"

LN

Oct 10, 2009 4:28 PM in response to LarryHN

I can't back up the one that is not working on the external drive. It won't open, i keep getting the same message about using newer version.

When I launch it holding the option and command buttons, there are five rebuild choices given, with the 5th one saying rebuild from automatic backup, but that choice is grayed out.

sorry to be dense here, but not working

Oct 10, 2009 5:07 PM in response to rmkay

sorry, I can't rebuild the library because the same error message comes up that a newer version of iphoto, etc. etc.

What i am basically trying to do is combine the photos from my earlier iphoto library (those on the external drive) with those that are on the working newer version of iphoto. But i cant open the external drive library up.

is there another way to get at those photos and import them into the working library?

Oct 10, 2009 6:28 PM in response to rmkay

quit iPhoto

in the finder delete the iPhoto preference file ("your user name" ==> library ==> preferences ==> com.apple.iPhoto.plist)

depress the option key and launch iphoto - use the select library function to select the non-working library on the external drive

if it does not open quit iPhoto and depress the option and command keys and launch iPhoto - use the first three rebuild options

LN

Cant open external hard drive iphoto library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.