Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

desktop layout always reverts back to default????

Hello- I'm 5 year FCP user and finally frustrated as to why for 5 years, almost every time I open a saved or recent project, my desktop layout reverts back to the default layout??? I then have to take the time to open up my saved layout and it still doesn't move all the windows back in place, especially the effects window. So frustrating! Any advice on how to correct this???
Thanks for your help!
Kevin

g5, Mac OS X (10.4.11), FCP, iDvd, iphoto, etc

Posted on Oct 12, 2009 6:38 PM

2 replies

Oct 13, 2009 4:43 AM in response to video guy 77

Hi Kevin,

This has been going on for 5 years? That just might be a record. Not one I'd want to hold, however.

My first thought is that you need to reset the FCP preferences. At least up thru FCS2, whenever FCP starts to act strangely, it's usually due either to a recently installed app or upgrade, or to a FCP preference file gone astray. To reset your FCP prefs, an app that will do the work for you is at http://digitalrebellion.net/pref_man.htm

Or, you can do the same thing manually. A search for "trash preferences" in this forum will eventually lead you to discussions where all the individual steps are listed.

Another possibility is that one or more versions of apps loaded in your Mac are out of sync with each other. All I know about this is what I've read in this FCP forum. It seems that certain combinations of versions of FCP + OS + Quicktime work best together. If an installed version of any of those is too high or too low, then an upgrade or downgrade of the app will fix the problem. The version of QT is usually the first suspect.

In the info below your post, it indicates you're at 10.4, but not which version of FCP or QT you have installed. Perhaps if you post those, someone here who keeps track of version combos can spot if there's a potential problem with your version mix.

In the past 5 years, have you ever started from scratch with a blank hard drive and installed all your apps from the original disks? Whenever I upgrade to a new OS or FCP version, I just pop in a new HD and spend a day shuffling disks. Time consuming, but I believe it leads to far less time wasted down the road with crashes or troubleshooting.

Oct 25, 2009 4:47 AM in response to video guy 77

Here is my revert to default keyboard layout whenever I reopen a Project.

When I open an existing project is always in the default Keyboard layout, then I go to the tools menu and I change to to a custom layout performed in FCP 6 and the following warning appears:

"That Keyboard layout is for "Spanish-ISO". if you import it into the current language, the keys may not match up properly"

I'v to say that my default Language settings all the time has been Spanish ISO, and works fine for the rest of apps. and when I open an existing project in FCP 7 the space bar never works until I set my custom setting mentioned above.

Could it be that the language setting for FCP7 in SL is other different language that the default of the selected in the System Prefs.?

desktop layout always reverts back to default????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.