Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto albums don't appear as screen saver options in system preferences

I've been using an album in iPhoto as my screen saver for years, but it just stopped working. Instead I get a message saying that folder can't be found.

And in System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver > Screen Saver, none of my iPhoto albums appear as options. I can only select a screen saver from Apple or Pictures.

I have not moved my iPhoto library either. And when I open iPhoto, all of my photos are there.

MacBook Pro, 2.56 GHz, 4 GB RAM. 250 GB HD; iMac, 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 500 GB HD, Mac OS X (10.6.1), iPhone, AppleTV, PowerBook G4

Posted on Oct 14, 2009 4:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2009 6:29 AM

Hello Zach:

Strange.... I do the same thing and my albums are there.

Try trashing a preference file and restarting.

com.apple.desktop.plist

Barry
15 replies

Jan 25, 2010 12:26 PM in response to The Zach

The message I get when my screen saver comes on is "The selected source contains no photos. Please choose a new source that contains pictures in Desktop & Screen Saver preferences or add images to this source."

The photo album that is selected contains photos though.

In a related story, when iTunes goes to sync with Apple TV, it can't find any of my photos either.

Mar 5, 2010 12:27 PM in response to The Zach

Same exact problem on my new 27" imac and my 2009 Mac Pro both running Snow Leopard. I can temporarily resolve the problem by removing AlbumData.xml & AlbumData2.xml from the package contents of iphoto. Of interest these are marked as Parallels/PC files. Both computers with this issue have Parallels installed. Would appreciate any help on this issue.

Thanks

Mar 6, 2010 5:46 PM in response to The Zach

I have not moved my iPhoto library either.

Did you by any chance move or change the name of the iPhoto folder? As previously suggested, did you trash the .plist file and restart your computer?
Open up a new account to see if the issue re-appears?
Boot from your install disc & run Repair Disk from the utility menu. To use the Install Mac OS X disc, insert the disc, and restart your computer while holding down the C key as it starts up.
Select your language.
Once on the desktop, select Utility in the menu bar.
Select Disk Utility.

Select the disk or volume in the list of disks and volumes, and then click First Aid.
Click Repair Disk.
Restart your computer when done.

Repair permissions after you reach the desktop- http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25751

Message was edited by: CMCSK

Mar 16, 2010 8:43 PM in response to CMCSK

CMCSK wrote:
Did you by any chance move or change the name of the iPhoto folder?

No.

As previously suggested, did you trash the .plist file and restart your computer?

Yes.

Open up a new account to see if the issue re-appears?
Boot from your install disc & run Repair Disk from the utility menu. To use the Install Mac OS X disc, insert the disc, and restart your computer while holding down the C key as it starts up.
Select your language.
Once on the desktop, select Utility in the menu bar.
Select Disk Utility.

Select the disk or volume in the list of disks and volumes, and then click First Aid.
Click Repair Disk.
Restart your computer when done.

Repair permissions after you reach the desktop- http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25751

Message was edited by: CMCSK

I don't have photos in any other accounts. The problem was appearing on another computer, however, but has since stopped. I'm not sure how it got corrected, but I know I didn't need to boot to the install disk as I've lost that disk.

Jun 14, 2010 6:04 PM in response to The Zach

This is off topic, but I also use iPhoto as a Screen Saver. Yesterday I Installed a SSD as my Boot drive in a Mac Pro. Since the SSD is small I used System Preferences/Accounts/right clicked on My Account for advanced options and then moved my Home Folder over to the Original Boot drive. It worked fine, or so I thought at the time, So I got rid of the Home folder with no icon on the SSD. But then I noticed my Screen Saver was Black with wording to the effect I had not picked anything for a Screen Saver yet. Today, I used it and there is iPhoto in Screen Saver whereas Yesterday I could not even choose it as any kind of choice, it was just grayed out. It fixed itself? I only hope this does not mean I've got other problems? One thing I will do is repair permissions on both drives. Sorry I do not have a reply for all those suffering, if you changed nothing, then it is just plain weird.

iPhoto albums don't appear as screen saver options in system preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.