Previous 1 2 Next 27 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2009 3:06 PM by taerchen
Tupin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Okay, so I have a Performa 6320CD running System 7.5.3 (soon to be 8.1) and with a Sonic Systems Commslot I Ethernet card going directly to a cable modem hooked directly into a cable jack. It gives me an option to switch to Ethertalk, but gives me a generic "can't switch" error. It also isn't set up for TCP/IP, which I can fix with Open Transport, but I can't seem to find a download, on Apple's official website or otherwise that unstuffs and boots without error.

Any suggestions/help?

Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier
  • Grant Bennet-Alder Level 9 Level 9 (52,210 points)
    In Macs of this era, you generally can't switch to Ethernet unless the Ethernet port was "live" at last Startup. This made connections, especially computer-to-computer connections, extremely difficult.

So to reduce the complexity, plug everything in and then Restart, then try your experiment again.
  • Tupin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I just tried that, and it doesn't work.
    I found a site on how to configure it, but I can't find a working Open Transport or Network Software Selector download.

http://www.support.psi.com/support/common/inet-serv/tcpip/macot/
    Correction: I can't find a WORKING Open Transport install. I wonder if my Performa will read CD-RWs so I don't have to keep wasting CD-Rs on downloads that are just barely too big to fit on a floppy.

I'm using Stuffit 5.5 to unstuff the file, do I need a more recent version?
    Are you using the versions from the
    Older Apple software downloads

Look for these download links (but read the .txt file first):

Macintosh/Networking-Communications/OpenTransport/OT1.1.2--LICENSE.txt
    Macintosh/Networking-Communications/OpenTransport/OT1.1.2-1of4.sea.bin
    Macintosh/Networking-Communications/OpenTransport/OT1.1.2-2of4.sea.bin
    Macintosh/Networking-Communications/OpenTransport/OT1.1.2-3of4.sea.bin
    Macintosh/Networking-Communications/OpenTransport/OT1.1.2-4of4.sea.bin
    Macintosh/Networking-Communications/OpenTransport/OT1.1.2-Extras.sea.bin
    Macintosh/Networking-Communications/OpenTransport/OT1.1.2-Extras.txt
    Macintosh/Networking-Communications/OpenTransport/OT_1.1.2-NetInstall.sea.bin
    Macintosh/Networking-Communications/OpenTransport/OT1.1.2.txt

also, Appleshare 3.7.4:

Macintosh/Networking-Communications/AppleShareClient/AppleShare_Client3.7.4.img.bin
    Macintosh/Networking-Communications/AppleShareClient/AppleShare_Client_3.7.4Info.txt

You may also need a driver for a non-Apple card, unless it is seen as an Apple card.
    An Ethernet connection does show up, yes.

I'll try those downloads, what's the difference between the one in four parts and the one that is one part?
  • Jeff Level 6 Level 6 (11,300 points)
    Download the single, larger "Net Install" version - it's the same file that was broken up into parts. Before high speed internet, CD burners, and USB flash drives, Apple made "larger" downloads available in segments, each of which would fit on a floppy disk. Dial-up downloads with a 28.8 modem were slow and if circumstances beyond one's control caused a dropped connection, it was safer to accomplish it in segments.
    Okay, I got all the install disks going, but is says "This machine can not run Open Transport, contact a local Apple dealer."

I have 32MB of RAM, do I need to change around the disk cache and virtual memory?
    Am I supposed to change the RAM?
    Open Transport 1.1.2 can be used on the Performa and Power Macintosh 52xx, 53xx, 62xx and 63xx product lines. When you install OT1.1.2 on a 52xx, 53xx, 62xx and 63xx model you may get a dialog box indicating a hardware issue was detected. If this alert is displayed, Open Transport cannot be installed or loaded until the Cache/ROM DIMM is replaced. Your computer will continue to run classic networking.

If this were a more modern Mac, it would need a firmware update. Since all its firmware is in a ROM card (in a slot) called the Cache/ROM DIMM card, that is what needs to be replaced. Maybe some readers know what to look for in a replacement that will work better.

There was a campaign to replace those Cache/ROM DIMM cards, but it was finished a long time ago.
    I don't even know where the DIMM is. I'll have to check, and hope that someone has an idea about what to do, unless I can install Open Transport 1.08.
    Any idea?
  • Jan Hedlund Level 6 Level 6 (9,400 points)
    It is a bit confusing, since the Open Transport 1.1.2 Read Me (1 of 2) / KB article TA36294 says that the "recently introduced Power Macintosh 5260 and 6320 are not included in this because all known issues were fixed prior to manufacturing".

So no solution, but a couple of questions. Without installing anything, is there any sign of an Apple Extras folder somewhere on the hard disk? If so, does this folder contain a Network Software Selector (and is it possible, which I doubt because of the message that you get, to switch to Open Transport networking there)? Could an older board somehow have been installed into a 6320CD case?

If there is no way of getting Open Transport to work, you should be able to use classic networking and its existing MacTCP control panel for TCP/IP purposes (via an appropriate manual setup).

Jan
    No, no Network Software Selector in the Apple Extras.

I would love to know how to switch to TCP/IP with classic networking, but I can't switch to Ethernet because it gives me an error.
Previous 1 2 Next