Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Arcane problem with NIST time server

Two days ago I noticed that my Airport Extreme stopped updating its internal clock. I have been using the NIST time server nist1-ny.WiTime.net when all of a sudden its logs indicated "no address for NTP server" and it made no further attempts to contact it. My Airport Express, located downstream and configured as a bridge, did not have the same problem.

So I went to the NIST site and determined that URL is no longer there, but a new one: nist1-ny.ustiming.org is. So I updated the Extreme to use that instead... same problem: "no address for NTP server nist1-ny.ustiming.org".

If I change the time server to one of Apple's preloaded ones, like time.apple.com, it works fine. I would suspect a problem with my DNS server (I use OpenDNS), except that my Express had been happily using the old URL nist.ny.WiTime.net all this time. I don't believe NIST changed the time server's actual address anyway, just its name. I since modified the Express to use the new URL nist1-ny.ustiming.org and it still works. Meanwhile, my Extreme can't seem to connect to the same address.

I have a spare Extreme that I can substitute for troubleshooting purposes, but I'm wondering if someone has any idea why this would have happened.

Powerbooks  iMacs  iPods  Airports  Appletalk printers , Mac OS X (10.4.11),  24 years Apple!  "it's" means "it is"  "lose" is a verb  "loose" isn't

Posted on Oct 15, 2009 3:26 AM

3 replies

Nov 7, 2009 2:08 PM in response to John Galt

My apologies - it was sa catastrophic failure with USTiming's DNS service which we were in the process of doing some maintenance on.

The NY NIST address for what its worth is 64.90.182.55 and there are two peer systems at 57 and 58 as well. These other two systems support autokey based secure NTP v4 timesetting as well.

Support@certichron.com gets an immediate response and if you have trouble with the NY or VA (NIST1-DC.USTiming.ORG) sites please let us know as soon as possible.

Todd Glassey CISM CIFI
CTO Certichron

Nov 8, 2009 1:31 PM in response to tglassey@certichron.com

So I wanted to also tell the rest of the list that Certichron's Foundation, the US Time Server Foundation also operates NIST public access time servers in California, Chicago, and Virginia.

NIST1-LA.USTiming.ORG - 64.147.116.229

NIST1-SJ.USTiming.ORG - 64.125.78.85

We also operate an ensemble of stratum-2 servers as "PUBTS-SJ.Certichron.COM". This is three systems (pubts0-sj, pubts1-sj, ans pubts2-sj - 64.125.79.28, 29, and 30) which are stratum-2 servers on a short network with the local NIST server. The electrical lengt of the network is about 60 inches so they sit on the same switch making their access to the NIST server also secure.

NIST1-CHI.USTiming.ORG - 208.66.175.36

Arcane problem with NIST time server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.