Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

iMac Hard Drive question

1310 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2009 8:30 PM by tdownerd RSS
tdownerd Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 15, 2009 4:06 AM
My iMac's hard drive is making a constant running sound - like it's accessing data - this has brought my system to a crawl at time (and is reminding me of my old windows system). The Hard Drive is at 50% full, the Apple Disk utility says it appears OK. Restarts have only helped for about 5 minutes then back to the gurgle sound. I have closed all extra running programs (simplify, cover sutra, etc) Any thoughts? Hard drive is a replacement from the original Apple drive that failed last year.

Thanks,
Todd
iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.2), Dell Laptop with Vista Home
  • Jerry Moreno Level 1 Level 1 (90 points)
    Oct 18, 2009 9:05 PM (in response to tdownerd)
    It is possible to have your HD starting to fail. I have a 24" Al iMac and just took it in today for the same symptoms. Unfortunately, this will be the second HD replacement I'll have had on it (first replacement was this year in May). However, the Genius ran the tests in front of me and it listed as "failing." In other words, a little more time and it might have been unbootable. I would recommend taking it in.
    iMac (Flat-Panel), Mac OS X (10.6.1), 4GB RAM
  • jamesholden Level 3 Level 3 (710 points)
    Oct 19, 2009 7:13 AM (in response to tdownerd)
    Depending on which version of the iMac you have, if it's out of warranty and needs a new hard drive there not that scary to change, the current glass one require a bit more patience but if you follow a good guide you can have it done quite safely and easily in 15 minutes.
    iMac 24", MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.