Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dumb Newbie question...

While I am decently versed in things like Perl, I pretty much know next to nothing about formulas in spreadsheets 🙂 So I am hoping for some help.

I have a Spreadsheet with 2 columns, the first is a Date Column (Column A) that looks like

Wed, Jan 16, 2008
Thu, Jan 17, 2008
Wed, Oct 14, 2009
Thu, Oct 15, 2009

The second column (Column E) is just simply numbers like

What I need to do is select each and every <name of day> (Column A) for a given year and the corresponding value in Column E, then sum the values of Column E into a new cell so I would end up with something like
MondayTuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
2008 2345 3123 1125
2009 341 2241 9871

Can anyone direct me how to do this? I tried to look around at other posts here and saw a =SUMIF(DATA :: $A,"="&A1,DATA :: $B) or something similar, but that doesn't do what I need so I tried to modify it using a VLOOKUP() in place of the &A1 thinking maybe I could select each day in Column A using wildcards, but that didn't seem to work either...Since I know so little about how these spreadsheet calcs work, I figured it would be better to ask for help and a detailed explanation if possible, than to try to go it alone anymore 🙂

Thanks in Advance for any help you can give 🙂

G4 Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.1), perl, MacOS X, Lineage :) :) :)

Posted on Oct 15, 2009 12:55 PM

2 replies

Dumb Newbie question...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.