Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1440x900@75Hz not supported on my monitor?

Hello all, I have a Mac Mini bought from 2008, and I have it hooked up to my LCD monitor.

I have it set up right now at 1440x900 at 60Hz, but it doesn't seem to allow me to move it up to 75Hz. The thing is, though, this monitor definitely supports 1440x900 @75Hz. I have a Windows computer that uses this monitor too, and it can do 75Hz at the same resolution.

I have looked at the display settings in both Leopard and the most recent version of Snow Leopard, both are the same. They only allow me to go to 60Hz (in fact, 60Hz is the only non-grayed out option in the refresh choices).

The monitor is an Envision G19LWK. It is hooked up through a DVI cable.

What is the problem here? Is there a way to override this?

Mac Mini - 2Ghz C2D / 2GB RAM / Intel GMA 950, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Oct 15, 2009 7:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2009 11:14 AM

I see from the manufacturer's specs that your display definitely supports 75hz refresh. The drivers Apple uses for it may not be designed to however. There is a utility SwitchResX that can force certain resolutions and modes if you wish.
4 replies

Oct 24, 2009 12:19 AM in response to Euchre

Hello Euchre, thanks for the reply, and sorry for the late response.

I tried out that program, but whenever I set it to run at 75Hz, the screen stays blank. I have to reboot the Mac to get it back to a working display resolution and refresh rate.

However, it seems I've solved the little problem here on my own. Hooking it up via VGA oddly enough allows me to run it at 75Hz. The reasoning behind this is beyond me, but its nice to see things move around at this refresh rate.

Message was edited by: Mjolnir1134

Oct 24, 2009 3:41 PM in response to Mjolnir1134

Mjoinir, I'd like to point out that you are probably best off running DVI at 60Hz than VGA at 75Hz. The reason is LCD panels have a timing controller in them and they refresh at a fixed 60 Hz regardless of what the input is. So even though you think you are enjoying 75 Hz refresh, it's a placebo affect. The panel is running at 60 Hz.

1440x900@75Hz not supported on my monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.