Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer crashes if connection is lost with network drive

Whenever I have a network drive mounted via AFP and I loose my internet connection (or if the computer that is hosting the mounted network drive crashes or shuts down unexpectedly) my computer completely seizes up and forces me to reboot.

This has been a widespread and ongoing problem at our office and at my home. This is repeatable and everyone that I have talked to that uses a network drive on a regular bases tells me that they experience this problem frequently.

Short of unmounting the networked drive as soon as I am done transferring files, what's the solution?

Mac Pro (early 2008) 2 X 2.8 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 16, 2009 11:25 PM

5 replies

Oct 30, 2009 7:59 PM in response to DaddyPaycheck

I think this problem is a bug in Leopard 10.5.x or a bug in one the the third party applications that we are running. Timbuktu? Dragthing? Who knows. The problem does not exist on our Snow Leopard computers.

Take any two computers running Leopard 10.5.x. Turn file sharing on one of them. Connect to it from the another Mac over your LAN or WAN. After you have the AFP volume mounted in your finder, unplug the network cable on either Mac. What happens? On our Macs they seize up, requiring a forced reboot.

Can anyone else reproduce this problem?

Computer crashes if connection is lost with network drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.