Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP HELP - LOGIC PRO 8 NEEDS TO BE FORCED QUITED IN SNOW LEOPARD

As you can read by my post, i need some help. I have a MacPro with Logic 8 installed with the latest 10.6.1 Snow Leopard. When you boot & use logic Pro 8 its fine, but as soon as you try and quit the application it throws a paddy and you have to force quit it!

I have booted up from the leopard disc, repaired all disc permission etc and its still the same. I also have a MacBook with the same set up and its fine.

Mind you, disc utility did say that 2 SUID files were unrepairable when repairing the disc permisions, could this be the prob?

Message was edited by: Daz1761

MacPro x2 2.8 Ghz, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Oct 17, 2009 10:22 AM

20 replies

Oct 17, 2009 11:37 PM in response to Daz1761

Hi again all,

I'm still having exactly this problem. I am using Logic 9, not Logic 8, but have started having this problem since installing Snow Leopard 10.6.1.

In a nutshell, I can't quit Logic, it freezes when I choose quit, and I then have to force quit.

Does anyone have any suggestions as a starting point for dealing with this issue?

I'm getting quite concerned at this point, as the update to Logic 9.0.2 didn't resolve the problem...

Mike

Oct 17, 2009 11:40 PM in response to yeloop

Hi again guys,

Following my post above, is there anything I (or Daz, who started this thread) can provide by way of logs or info (from the Activity Monitor, for example?) that might help some of the more technical guys on this forum to make sense on what specifically is causing this hanging behaviour on quitting?

Thanks heaps guys, would love any clues or help!

Cheers,
Mike

Oct 18, 2009 3:33 PM in response to Daz1761

Hey Daz,

Thanks for the update!

I had already tried saving / closing the project and then quitting as a separate action - still getting the freeze on quit though!

Strangely though, sometimes quit DOES work. Usually if I just open and play a session, perhaps record one part and then save and quit.

So perhaps see how you go over the next day or so, you might find quitting still fails on occasion.

Hope it's all solved for you though, that would be great!

Cheers,
Mike

Oct 19, 2009 12:07 PM in response to yeloop

Hi Mike, still not heard anything from the Logic Pro Forum so it must be a case for waiting for an update or something. Like i say, it works the way I posted but its not right, especially for you Logic 9 users!

Anyway, anymore news & i'll continue this thread mate and also hope that someone may have the answer to this thread

Cheers

Daz

Oct 25, 2009 12:56 PM in response to Daz1761

Hi All,

I have the exact same problem, and closing the session before quitting gives only an intermittent solution. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Could it be a Snow Leopard problem? Funnily enough it's been happening only in the past few days....some time as the first post of this thread. I hope they fix it soon. Maybe Logic 9 is the solution?

Nov 7, 2009 6:46 PM in response to beckwith

I've just gone from 10.5.8 to 10.6.1 this weekend.

I too have the exactly the same issue with 8.02.
It doesn't matter which order I shut down, either project first then quit Logic or just quit Logic, eventually I have to do a force quit of Logic.

I have Logic in the Dock and do it from there.

I assumed/hoped it was an 8.02 issue but now I see 9.02 users are having the same issue with 10.6.1.

It's not a show stopper but I hate things like this.
It makes me worry about what else could be going on in the background.

Nov 7, 2009 7:30 PM in response to Murray Campbell

Looks like something in particular in my pre Snow Leopard Project is causing the issue.
If I create new projects in 8.02 I do not have to force quit.

The hard part is now working out what FX or instrument or whatever is causing it.

So far third party stuff I have like BFD2, Sonnox and Waves 7 seem ok.

So it looks like it will not be easy finding the culprit.

Nov 7, 2009 7:57 PM in response to Murray Campbell

Strange as it may seem the culprit is the *Event Float window* !

I had it open when the Project in question was saved.

If I close the Event Float then save the project I can then close the project and then quit Logic without having to Force Quit Logic.

BUT if I just quit Logic with the Project open I still have to Force Quit.

This is 100% reproducible with this Project.

Nov 7, 2009 8:23 PM in response to Murray Campbell

BFD2 seems to be the source.

If BFD2 is used then the Event Float window must be closed before closing a project.
As long as the Event Float is closed I can close the project then quit Logic without a force quit.

I can reproduce this 100% of the time with a new blank project.
All I have to do is introduce BFD2 and have the Event Float open.

How weird is that hey !!

I will post on FXpansion. forum.

Phew.

Nov 8, 2009 11:45 PM in response to Murray Campbell

Hi There

I have been having issues with this whole "not quitting properly under 10.6.1", and I've just tried your theory to see if it applies to me...

I kept the BFD window open and tried to quit - quitting was fine.

Just to confirm... by the "event floar window", do you mean double-clicking on BFD's button in the channel strip, to open up the main BFD view (the one that shows the drum layout etc)?

If so, it seems that's a slightly different problem to what I'm having, as doing this didn't cause Logic not to quit properly (but some other things still do - haven't been able to establish a pattern as yet, which is driving me mad!).

Cheers,
Mike

Nov 9, 2009 12:28 AM in response to yeloop

+Just to confirm... by the "event floar window", do you mean double-clicking on BFD's button in the channel strip, to open up the main BFD view (the one that shows the drum layout etc)?+

In a word...no.

I mean the Event Float window in Logic.
I do not have Logic in front of me but in the arrange view I think you go Options> Event Float

It tells you everything you need to know about a selected region, like where it starts exactly , how long it is, if it is a mid region the velocity etc etc.

cheers

HELP HELP - LOGIC PRO 8 NEEDS TO BE FORCED QUITED IN SNOW LEOPARD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.