Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External microphone for iPod Touch 1G

Hi all,

I've seen various posts suggesting that since the 3.1.x firmware upgrade external microphones stop working - e.g. the Macally iVoice III!

Has anyone out there got a microphone that works on an iPod Touch 1G running 3.1.x or have Apple stopped these working? Does anyone know if a later firmware release will "fix" the issue or if any formal announcement was made by Apple to do this?

Thanks

BR
Ian

iPod Touch 16Gb - 1G, Windows Vista

Posted on Oct 17, 2009 4:15 PM

18 replies

Nov 8, 2009 4:18 AM in response to Whiteduck

Update:

With my vacation looming I decided to buy a Macally iVoicePro in the UK from maconestopshop.co.uk (£35 inc shipping) on the off-chance this would work and IT DID!!!

Well with a few restrictions in the App Store...

My config:
iPod Touch 1G (i.e. no internal speaker or mic capability in headphone socket)
Firmware Version 3.1.2 (7D11)
Hardware Model MA627ZK

Skype 1.1.0 (1.1.0.91)

And Skype works! The mic has a built in speaker but I have also tested using headphones. There is no way of adjusting the speaker volume from Skype unfortunately.

The mic also has a line-in and USB charge socket but I've not tested these yet.

I tried to download various voice recorder applications from the App Store and most of them sadly are restricted by the App Store due to "This App is Incompatible With This iPod touch" - "This app requires a microphone" - shame Apple won't allow an over-ride option - but the following did work:

Ultimate ToDos
AudioMemos (Free)

Also Midomi works (the music recognition software)!

Thought I'd share this good news! Let's hope future updates of Firmware or Skype don't break this! Remember your mileage may vary!

Best regards
Ian

Nov 9, 2009 2:52 AM in response to Whiteduck

Umm... but unfortunately the first gen iPod Touch Only has 3 contacts in the headphone jack one for right positive one for left positive oh and one for Neutral one contact for both neutral it is the way it works these days???

But to use a mic with iPod Touches you need a 4th sadly the 1st gen does not have this required forth contact. only 2nd and 3rd support Remote and mic.
NO COMPATIBLE MIC FOR FIRST GEN IPOD TOUCH AND DEFINITELY NOT A SOFTWARE RESTRICTION.

Nov 9, 2009 4:23 AM in response to Monty521

Hi,

Yes that's right for mic's that connect via the headphone socket but the multi-function socket DOES support the Macally iVoicePro and my reference to software restriction is only a problem with certain App Store downloads...

To be clear I have made successful Skype calls (and the person could hear me) on my 1G with this mic. Also the apps I list above do work as advertised.

Regards
Ian

Nov 10, 2009 9:12 AM in response to Whiteduck

I had the same issue, upgraded from 3.0 firmware to 3.1 and suddenly my ipod is saying this 3rd party accessory is not compatible with ipod. I immediatly downgraded to 3.0 and im back in business make skype calls daily on ipod 1st gen 32GB with macally iVoice III and skype running 3.0 firmware. Apple please make future firmware updates open to 3rd party accessories u are taking away functionality from my device and its completely unnecessary. Also add Ipod touch direct to airtunes over wifi please. make me an app to do that id pay 5 bux for it and we both b happy 🙂

Nov 16, 2009 8:21 PM in response to Whiteduck

What really kills me about this is that I just tried to downgrade my OS 3.1.2 to a 3.0 or 2.2.1 so this mic would work... but I couldn't so I'm stuck with 3.1.2.

So, on a lark, I plug in the iVoice III and access the "voice memo" app, and don't see no stupid "not supported" message... and go on to SUCCESSFULLY record a GREAT sounding voice memo... then I switch to Skype and phone my landline and leave a message for myself, and it sounds FANTASTIC.

THEN I shut the iTouch off. When I turn it back on to try again, THEN I get the FRIKKING "not supported" message... AFTER it worked SUCCESSFULLY on TWO APPS. Specifically the TWO I WANT TO USE, and one of them (skype) is the ENTIRE reason I upgrade to a bluetooth-supporting speaker-built-in iPod Touch Gen 2.

I am nothing short of livid. The whole point is that this hardware IS supported... until some piece of SOFTWARE decides it ISN'T!!!

What the FWORD!!!! And I can't find any explanation of why this is. Security? Bad voltage? Dock connector license violation? WHAT what WHAAAATTT!?!? WHAT IS IT?!

(deep, cleansing breaths)

I wanna throw my iTouch hard at a very very solid brick / concrete wall.

And WHY weren't we informed that upgrading to OS 3.1.2 would make our working third-party hardware STOP WORKING? I paid $30 for this mic, and $10 for the OS upgrade. I would not have upgraded to 3.0 if I knew it would kill support for my iVoice III mic. Whatever the reason, Apple has done something akin to what Palm did to me years ago that got them blacklisted and I never ever purchased another device of theirs. I'd like to see this resolved, or Apple goes on my "on principle, never buy their products" list.

Nov 23, 2009 3:48 PM in response to pandog1

pandog1,

Sorry if you don't feel this is answered for you - I agree for many it isn't but I have detailed what DOES work so for my original question I have managed to answer it using 1G, 3.1.2 and a Macally iVoice Pro with Skype.

I would really appreciate if someone from Apple could explain why

a) those with other iVoice mics have problems
b) why the app store limits what can be downloaded - surely a "I don't mind just let me download it" option could be added to allow support.
c) volume control of the speaker is not possible without plugging in headphones.

Best regards
Ian

Nov 24, 2009 5:55 AM in response to Whiteduck

hi,
the app store limits what can be downloaded, but you can contact the application's editor to have the app enabled for ipod touch 1G. i did it for some VoIP or memo applications. sometimes the editor is just not aware that mics for ipod touch 1G exist. some had it immediately enabled, some required testing (then, just volunteer to be beta tester, what i did), for other it seems a bit more bureaucratic, but insist.
the other option is to DL the app in iTunes and then modify the IPA file, the method can be found easily on the web..

concerning the volume control on speaker (and mic gain also ?), we must consider that this mic was build for ipod 5G or classic, and that it works depending on its initial features and on ipod touch firmware possibilities. of course, il would love this volume control, and enhancements are welcome (and regressions are not, ie the FW 3.1 issue !!!)

Dec 7, 2009 8:00 AM in response to lorax1284

Thanks everybody for so much information concerning this issue. I want to buy an external mic for my Ipod Touch 1G (since Apple didn't take it into account) and the idea was to get a Macally.

lorax1284, have you tried that mic from DealXtreme? I'm not sure if it will work with 1G iTouch since it is not a dock microphone. But could you please confirm it?

Thank you very much in advance

Dec 29, 2009 3:25 PM in response to croquetita

Yes, the DealExtreme mic does work... I recommend the one that is hinged: it plugs into the jack better with a silicone case on (other one that doesn't hinge you have to remove the case or it won't plug in all the way)

You will have to either use the speaker or bluetooth headphones to listen.

Personally, I want to use my Macally iVoice III plugged into the Dock port, and headphones plugged into the headphone jack.

Does anyone from Apple corporate / support read these forums? Why would a third-party accessory like this stop working? Could we PLEASE have a reason?

External microphone for iPod Touch 1G

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.