Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

How can I delete a system?

1970 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2009 2:27 PM by Király RSS
Clive P. Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 18, 2009 5:04 AM
A couple of years ago I had trouble with my HD so to play safe I installed another one and put a new system onto it. I meant to use it for a few days to make sure it worked and then delete the old system, but I forgot! I know most people say you should never have two systems but it's never given me any problems.

The troublesome drive seems Okay now so I've decided to empty it and use it as a scratch disc but I can't delete the old system folder. It says it's a read only file and belongs to the system so I'm not allowed to touch it.

Anyone know how to get rid of it?

Thanks in advance.
Mac book pro,G5,G4,G3,Performa and even a Mac aquarium!
  • Niel Level 10 Level 10 (234,580 points)
    Oct 18, 2009 9:13 AM (in response to Clive P.)
    Use the Disk Utility in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder to erase the drive.

(48102)
    iMac Late 2007 Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.1)
  • BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (114,715 points)
    Oct 18, 2009 10:18 AM (in response to Clive P.)
    If the OS isn't using it, you should be able to just Trash it & empty the Trash.
  • Király Level 6 Level 6 (9,460 points)
    Oct 18, 2009 2:27 PM (in response to Clive P.)
    The easist way would be to use Disk Utility to erase the drive, and then restore your old programs from your backups. You do have them backed up, right?
    eMac (PowerPC G4, 1.25GHz, 1.5GB RAM, USB 2.0), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.