Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formating to FAT32

Hi.
I'm using Disk Utility to format a hard drive into FAT32. It's now 'Mac OS Extended' and my PC can't read it.

But the only options I have are
Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Mac OS Extended
Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)
Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive)
UNIX File System

What should I select

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Oct 19, 2009 7:40 AM

4 replies

Oct 19, 2009 9:43 AM in response to Steinninn

When a drive appears in disk utility you get two level of presentation for each drive. The top level is the whole drive, which is subdivided into partitions. The indented level are the various partitions on the drive (often only one). A drive can be partitioned to different schemes. Various schemes support different formats. The individual partitions can then be formatted to various formats as long as they are supported by the overall partition scheme. You were using a partition scheme (probably Apple Partition Map) that doesn't support FAT. On the other hand, if your reformat to MBR which does, you will find you may lose other schemes.

Select the top level for the drive in Disk Utility. Many drives will have a drive size and model for the top level information, then whatever name you gave to the partition indented below that. If you have multiple partitions there will be multiple names below that.

Choose the erase tab. You will notice that if you select a partition that you get one set of options, if you select the top drive level you will get another. Choose the top drive level, then Volume Format MS-DOS File System.

Erase. Note, this will completely erase all data on the drive!

After that your drive will be partitioned to MBR (Master Boot Record) and allow you to select the FAT formatting in the erase options for a partition.

Formating to FAT32

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.