Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

command+c doesn't work ~ Snow Leopard

Just bought a new iMac and had some issues with Snow Leopard upgrade and loosing a bunch of stuff like photos,addresses and some documents. Also installed iWork. I'm really ignorant about most thing Mac but I can do the easy things that make me happy. Untill... I try to copy and paste. command+c does nothing but command+x works fine and command+v pastes fine. ANY help getting command+c to work right would be appreciated!

iMac (early) 2009, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Oct 19, 2009 10:51 AM

8 replies

Oct 19, 2009 11:03 AM in response to Russell Blackman

I don't understand: if command+v works for pasting items, why do you think command+c does not work for copying those items?

command+x -> "cuts" (deletes) the selected item & copies it to the clipboard.
command+c -> copies the selected item to the clipboard without cutting (deleting) it.
command+v -> pastes (copies) the item on the clipboard at the insertion point. The item remains on the clipboard until a cut or copy replaces it.

Oct 19, 2009 11:53 AM in response to Russell Blackman

It is strange. I didn't reply earlier. But, you could just use cmd-x for copying. It might be a little odd sometimes. But, if this is your only problem with Sno, then I'd just let it go unless someone comes up with an easy fix. If you don't want to let it go and nothing better comes along, then you might be able to fix the problem by reinstalling Sno over Sno as if doing an upgrade install. While this method is very safe, I would not want to do any kind of install without having a bootable clone of my internal on an external.

Oct 19, 2009 12:17 PM in response to Russell Blackman

Shell Beach wrote:
Thanks for the fast response. I used command-x to copy and then pasted it where I wanted. But command-c does nothing.

What are you expecting it to do? For example, if you highlight the following line of text in your browser window & press command + c, it should copy the text:

This is copied text

Nothing visible will happen. Now, click the "Reply" button, click once in the message window to make sure it is selected, & press command + v. Do you now see "This is copied text" in the message window?

Oct 19, 2009 12:56 PM in response to Russell Blackman

command+c doesn't work.... I copied this sentence using command+x. I tried to copy your text using both c & x with out results.
Then I right clicked and copied it and that worked as you can see below.
Honest, I understand how copy and paste is suppose to work but it isn't. Really frustrated.

" What are you expecting it to do? For example, if you highlight the following line of text in your browser window & press command + c, it should copy the text:

This is copied text

Nothing visible will happen. Now, click the "Reply" button, click once in the message window to make sure it is selected, & press command + v. Do you now see "This is copied text" in the message window? "

If I reinstall SL I'm pretty sure I'd have to reinstall all the updates too. I'm on a satellite service and only have limited up & down load access. I'm in Baja, 600 miles below the boarder or I'd take this iMac in. I'm still hoping for a fix. Thanks for the responses. Russ

command+c doesn't work ~ Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.