Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AVCHD player for MAC

Is there any way I can play AVCHD files on my MacBook? Will the new Macbooks be able to play and process AVCHD video files?
From the forums online , it sounds like a hopeless cause, unless I buy a new MacPro with the fastest upgrades.
Thanks,
Mo

2007 Macbook with 2 gig Ram, Mac OS X (10.4.9), 5G iPod 80 gig

Posted on Oct 19, 2009 5:27 PM

5 replies

Oct 20, 2009 9:04 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks Aqua for the quick response,
just one more question I want to throw out there. Will my MacBook, (specs, below) be able to even handle editing and compressing these larger ram hungry formats, like AVCHD files. Or am I going to pretty much find out after I install these programs as above described, that this computer won't be able to deal with it?
Is my hardware sufficient?

Thanks

Oct 20, 2009 1:12 PM in response to BDAqua

That sounds good. Thanks for the forum link. I have read some other forums on this and most seem to say that the converting uses lots of ram and takes some time.
If I wanted to convert AVCHD to Mpeg4, I guess I would first have to ;
1 Convert AVCHD files to AIC
2 Then convert AIC files to Mp4

So 2 steps to get to mp4? Sounds like a lot of converting time. I guess there is no easy way around dealing with AVCHD files.

AVCHD player for MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.