Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Appleworks & Snow Leopard

I bought a new intel based imac a few months ago. I installed Appleworks 6.2.9 using OS 10.5.8 & it works fine. I have read the other posts about using Appleworks with Snow Leopard & I am reluctant to intall Snow Leopard if it will cause issues with Appleworks. Has there been an official answer or support from Apple as to whether Appleworks will function with SL? I would rather have Appleworks than SL to be honest. I am very disappointed with iworks! Whereʻs the draw, paint & database???

24" imac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Mac user since 1994

Posted on Oct 19, 2009 9:21 PM

46 replies

Oct 20, 2009 1:56 PM in response to Creomiriure543

Welcome to Apple Discussions!

See this user tip:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1691445

Yes Appleworks works in Snow Leopard. Furthermore, if concerned about what will work in Snow Leopard, look at these pages:

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/
http://www.macintouch.com/specialreports/snowleopard/slcompat.html
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669

I've also written an upgrade FAQ*:

http://www.macmaps.com/upgradefaq.html

As for an official Apple response, this is a user to user forum. While occasionally you may see an Apple response on this forum, it is rare, and usually indicated by a poster who has either an User uploaded file next to their profile or a User uploaded file next to their profile.

- * Links to my pages may give me compensation.

Oct 31, 2009 5:16 AM in response to Creomiriure543

I'm unable to get AppleWorks to open in 10.6.1. It almost makes it. I get the menu, the button bar and an empty Starting Points window, and then it crashes.

It does not create a new .plist file but does manage to create the user folders and preferences folder.

I've tried all the suggestions listed above, repairing permissions, deleting preferences etc.

I think the font issue is probably the culprit in my case.

Nov 2, 2009 10:15 PM in response to Ken Hart

Yes it seems you get hit hard with the font issue or miss it entirely, it's not fair. Try resolving duplicates in FontBook, validating (I'm not sure what this actually does but it flags errors that may or may not be an issue) and finally digging through your font libraries manually paying special attention to third party fonts. It's a process of elimination.

I should add it's worth it, AW works very well under Snow Leopard.

Dave

Message was edited by: Dave Robertson2

Nov 3, 2009 6:31 PM in response to Ken Hart

Appleworks loads in my 10.6.1. However, it is mighty slow to launch, and once it does launch, it autohides itself. Don't panic though, if your Dock is open, it should still appear to be launched. If it isn't there may be some data corruption in your install. If you click on it in the Dock after it has launched, it will stay open.

Jan 11, 2010 5:01 PM in response to Steve M.

I plan to install AppleWorks on my new 21.5 inch iMac. I have my old original disks that came with my G4 iMac running Jaguar at the time. Is this where I would find the installer to install AppleWorks? ... Will it work?

There is no need to use the AppleWorks Installer. Instead, just move your AppleWorks 6 folder from your iMac G4 to your new iMac 21". (You will end up with the same files as using the Installer.)

Moving the AppleWorks 6 folder to your new iMac installs AppleWorks quicker than running the Installer. As well, you may find the Installer does not work on your new iMac. That's because Apple released some AppleWorks Installers which required Classic. And of course you can't run Classic on your new iMac.

NB The AppleWorks Installer will not be on the Mac OS X 10.4 disks. Rather, it will be on a separate disk called "Applications" which came with your iMac G4. AppleWorks was given away with certain Macs, usually with a bundle of extra programs like Nanosaurus. Just like iLife is today.

Dale

Jan 18, 2010 12:42 PM in response to Dale Gillard

Dale,

AppleWorks installed just fine using your method of moving the AppleWorks 6 folder. Thanks.

As an aside, in case anyone is interested, I was able to install MS Office v.X from my install disk. As it turns out, this had been the first thing I installed that required Rosetta, so upon inserting the install disk and clicking on the installer, I was asked if I wanted to download Rosetta to continue, I said yes and it all worked fairly seamlessly. I just figured why spend extra money buying a brand new MS Office for Mac when I already had something that will work fine for my limited needs.

Regards,
Steve M.

Jan 18, 2010 1:13 PM in response to Steve M.

Steve M. wrote:
I just figured why spend extra money buying a brand new MS Office for Mac when I already had something that will work fine for my limited needs.

Regards,
Steve M.

So true! I also keep a MS Office X for just in case I need it. iWork'09 does most of the time suffice my needs. I have slowly moved away from AW but still keep it as it has feature not available anywhere else.

Appleworks & Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.