Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moved project to properly formatted external drive; not showing up

Hi -

I've been reading the threads here on moving iMovie projects to an external drive, and thought I'd done everything correctly but am still not able to access my projects from my external drive, although I can see them. I have an external drive formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I moved both the project and the event from inside the iMovie application. This deleted it on the original computer. Thought I was safe there, since I was moving everything.

Then I had two folders on my external drive: iMovie events and iMovie projects. This is where I may have gone wrong (?) - I wanted to keep all movie-related folders into a folder on the external drive called "Movies", so I put the two folders I'd just created in the "Movies" folder. Could this be why I'm not able to open my projects?

I also notice that in the "iMovie events" folder, there is one folder called "New Events", and all the video clips are inside it - they are not divided into subfolders for each movie I moved. Is this the way iMovie stores the actual clips?

Help!

MacBook Air, iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Oct 20, 2009 4:36 AM

9 replies

Oct 20, 2009 5:10 PM in response to Gretchen Daniel1

It won't save any lost projects, not that I'm saying yours are lost. It's like an alias that's all, but aliases won't work with the project folder. In fact it's a throw back to when it was the only way to move your projects folder, as Appleman says you can now just have your projects at the top level on an external. (much easier than setting up a symbolic link)

Oct 22, 2009 7:21 AM in response to Winston Churchill

In other words, as specified on this board and other places, I moved the project and the event while working in iMovie '09, rather than using the Finder, as per below:

+Connect a compatible external hard disk drive to your computer using a FireWire or USB 2.0 cable.+
+A hard disk icon appears in the Project Library.+
+NOTE:When using an external hard disk with iMovie, make sure it has been formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).+
+Select the project that you want to move or copy, and then do one of the following:+
+To copy the project, drag it to the icon of the hard disk where you want to copy it, and then choose “Copy project” or “Copy project and events.”+
+If you choose “Copy project,” none of the project’s video or other media is copied to the other disk. To edit the project, the computer you’re using must be connected to the hard disk that contains the media.+
+If you choose “Copy project and events,” the Events are copied to the other disk.+
+Either way, a copy of the Events remains in the original location, and any other projects using clips from those Events still refer to them at their original location.+
+To move the project, hold down the Command key as you drag the project to the icon of the hard disk where you want to copy it, and then choose “Move project” or “Move project and events.”+
+If you choose “Move project,” none of the project’s video or other media is copied to the other disk. To edit the project, the computer you’re using must be connected to the hard disk that contains the media.+
+If you choose “Move project and events,” the project and the Events used in the project are moved and deleted from their original location. Any other projects using clips from those Events refer to them at their new location.+
+If you’re moving a large amount of video at once, this process may take several minutes.+
+You can also move or copy Events to an external hard disk.+
+You can also quickly consolidate all the media used in a project onto the same disk as the project. This makes it easy to collect a complete project onto one disk that you can then edit from any computer using iMove ‘09.+

Unfortunately I chose to "Move project and events" rather than "Copy project and events" and then delete the project later from my MBA. The projects are now completely gone from my MBA, and inaccessible from my external drive.

Any other thoughts?

Oct 23, 2009 7:44 AM in response to Winston Churchill

OK, tried that. The projects copied back over to the main drive, but the source clips are missing. The problem, I think, is that at some point in the process of moving the projects and related events, I created a new folder on the external drive, which is just called "New Event". The only thing I can think is that this happened when I moved the two folders "iMovie Projects" and "iMovie Events" to an overall folder on the external drive called "Movies". I remember when I moved them from the mail drive, there was no option to create a parent folder, which I thought was odd and unMac-like.

The main reason I wanted to resurrect the project (the video is done) was to burn a DVD using iDVD. All I have is an 85Mb Quicktime file of the movie, which almost certainly won't be high enough resolution to view on a television. But at least I moved the project after it was done.

Thanks for your help, if you have any other suggestions I'd be most appreciative.

moved project to properly formatted external drive; not showing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.