Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.5.8 and external HDMI problems

I just recently upgraded from OS X 10.5.6 to 10.5.8. For an external display, I use my LG computer monitor which has an HDMI port. I hooked up the mini-displayport on the macbook pro to a monoprice mini-displayport to hdmi adapter and then ran a hdmi cable to the monitor. This all worked perfect under 10.5.6. When I updated to 10.5.8, OS X can not detect the external display. Is there a problem here with this release of OS X? Will upgrading to Snow Leopard alleviate the problem. I found some references to a potential problem with 10.5.7/10.5.8 but nothing solid. Thanks in advance for your help!

Windows

Posted on Oct 20, 2009 1:29 PM

2 replies

Nov 27, 2009 7:01 PM in response to HowardH

Not sure if this is the same problem, but . . .

10.5.6 was the last version of the OS that allowed me to output a 1920 x 1080 resolution to my Sanyo HDTV. This was using a Mini Displayport to DVI adapter, and a DVI to HDMI cable to the TV. 10.5.7 and 10.5.8 didn't work. Now I'm running 10.6.2 and it will only output 720p (1280 x 720). What's more, if I use shareware like SwitchResX to choose the 1920 x 1080 resolution, it makes the TV go haywire (looks like it needs the vertical hold adjusted).

So, not really a great solution, I have kept a bootable copy of my 10.5.6 system on an external drive, and whenever I want to drive the TV with a good signal, I reboot in 10.5.6. Something happened with systems 10.5.7 and later, and I can't figure out what.

Message was edited by: RichardStarr

10.5.8 and external HDMI problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.