Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Archive To Firewire Drive Problem

2507 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2009 10:51 AM by LucasSaldanhaWerneck RSS
wilsonbyu Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 20, 2009 1:55 PM
Please help me understand what I am doing wrong with my archive device. I have a firewire drive named "PostBackup01" that I set up as an archive device through the system preferences pane on FCServer.

I can archive to it as intended, but my problems come when I remove the firewire drive from the server. If I try to restore an asset, it says I can't - this is good, but here's the kicker - if I tell FCServer to archive an asset without the firewire drive hooked up, FCServer will create a directory in /Volumes/ called "PostBackup01" and archive to that folder as if it were the firewire drive!

Is there anything I am doing wrong? I really just want FCServer to say, "Sorry, no archive devices are available at the moment!" Am I experiencing what really is supposed to happen? Really?
MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.7), and Windows 7
  • A. Richards Calculating status...
    Oct 21, 2009 7:04 PM (in response to wilsonbyu)
    When a FireWire drive mounts, it does so at /Volumes/, and when Final Cut Server creates a device, it does so at a specific path. In your case, that path is /Volumes/PostBackup01. Mechanically, Archiving is just moving the data for an asset to an alternate location. So apparently, Final Cut Server will make any missing directory it needs to on its way to writing the file in the path where it expects to find the Archive device.

The developers apparently didn't intend for Archive devices to be disconnected from the system. Maybe that's a head-shaker for you, but it is what it is. So, based on the way FCSvr was designed, the thing you are doing wrong is dismounting the archive device from the host.
  • LucasSaldanhaWerneck Calculating status...
    Oct 23, 2009 10:51 AM (in response to wilsonbyu)
    BUT, as always in FCS there's a workaround:
    You can setup a script, inside a production let's say, that would check first if the drive is present and if it's not it can show some warning in log or in jobs, from there (or from the script) you can trigger a notification (email or anything you like, just not a popup inside the FCS interface). If the device is present than would trigger archive just fine.
    Take a look at Object Matrix ( http://www.matrixstore.net/2009/07/24/final-cut-server-15-plugins/ ). They have some scripts and you can start from there.
    While you're there take a look at the long archive solution that's simple brilliant.
    If it's not as clear as I intended to be, please let me know and I'll try to summarized better.
    Regards
    Mac Pro 8 core, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.