Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP! trying to change hard drive

I tried swapping the existing 80G hard drive on my macbook with a new 250G h/d. The data was previously backed up on an external h/d. This seemed like a very easy process. I did it while watching a youtube video demonstration. After swapping, i connected the external h/d and started up with the Mac OS disc that came with the machine. From the Utilities menu I selected Restore From Backup, and I then chose the external h/d's most recent backup. Next came Select A Destination, when the machine said "Searching for Disks." I could not get past this screen. It kept searching. Seems like it sould not see the new h/d. Does this mean I did not install the new h/d correctly? Or could it mean something else? Thanks.

Posted on Oct 21, 2009 1:24 PM

7 replies

Oct 21, 2009 1:39 PM in response to nick11570

nick:
The data was previously backed up on an external h/d.

What kind of backup did you make? e.g. cloned?
What backup utility did you use?
From the Utilities menu I selected Restore From Backup, and I then chose the external h/d's most recent backup.

Did format the new HDD? See directions below:

Formatting, Partitioning Erasing a Hard Disk Drive
• With computer shut down insert install disk in optical drive.
• Hit Power button and immediately after chime hold down the "C" key.
• Select language
• Go to the Utilities menu (Tiger and later) Installer menu (Panther & earlier) and launch Disk Utility.
• Select your HDD (manufacturer ID) in left side bar.
• Select Partition tab in main panel. (You are about to create a single partition volume.)
• Click on Options button
• Select Apple Partition Map (PPC Macs) or GUID Partition Table (Intel Macs)
• Click OK
• Select number of partition in pull-down menu above Volume diagram.
(Note 1: One partition is normally preferable for an internal HDD.)
• Type in name in Name field (usually Macintosh HD)
• Select Volume Format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
• Click Partition button at bottom of panel.
• Select Erase tab
• Select the sub-volume (indented) under Manufacturer ID (usually Macintosh HD).
• Check to be sure your Volume Name and Volume Format are correct.
• Click Erase button
• Quit Disk Utility.

😉 cornelius

Oct 21, 2009 1:39 PM in response to nick11570

You probably just need to format it correctly. While logged into the install disk, go to Utilities - Disk Utility, select the new drive on the left (if you see it there), and choose Partition tab. Click Options, and make sure "GUID scheme" is selected. Under "Volume Scheme", click "1 Partition", make sure the format is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and name it something appropriate. Now click Apply on the lower right. Once that has completed, go back to the Restore operation and see if you disk is now detected.

Matt

Oct 22, 2009 8:00 AM in response to Matt Clifton

Thanks guys. Your advice worked, but I have a new MAJOR PROBLEM. After formatting, my macbook recognized the new h/d... but my data from the external h/d and Time Machine was not restored (the only data is in iPhoto, with a small amount of stuff iTunes). So I went into Time Machine and saw several backups dating back to June, when I bought the external h/d. I then navigated to the most recent one before swapping the internal h/d and clicked Restore. It seemed like this was working and it said it would take 6 hours. But when I checked this morning, I was horrified to see that nothing was transferred to iPhoto or iTunes on the new internal h/d and all of the backups on the external h/d and Time Machine were gone. It seems like the process worked in reverse and I may now need to put the old internal h/d in to retrieve the data. I hope note. Thoughts?

HELP! trying to change hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.