Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install iWork '09

This is frustrating...

I have an iMac that came with a trial version of iWork '09. Once it expired, I purchased a retail box version. According to Apple, the full version should install over the trial - no serial number needed.

Unfortunately, when launching any of the programs, they ask me for a serial number - which, of course, I don't have since the retail version does not include any s/n.

I've read thru multiple posts on this forum about others who have had the same issue - and the solution (but only for some) seems to be deleting the remnants of any prior iWork from the mac and installing fresh from the disc. This has not worked for me.

I've deleted everything I can find in the main Library, user Library folders - including applications, .plist files, application support, templates, packages, etc. Restarting, repairing permissions, etc still with failure to install from disc - asking for a serial number.

So, I tried installing the retail version on my laptop, which also has a trial version of iWork '09 - it installed fine. Encouraged, I then reinstalled the iWork '09 trial back onto my iMac - then installed the retail disc - still with the s/n problem.

Any other suggestions? Running OS 10.5.8

Thanks -

2X3GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Oct 21, 2009 4:49 PM

30 replies

Oct 23, 2009 1:21 AM in response to Michael Cucka

I had this same problem just today. I installed the trial in a new Snow Leopard installation, then realized that I needed to enter the key again. After finding my media and discovering that there -was- no key, I tried to install over it, which persisted in asking me for a serial.

In the end, the things I scrubbed off the system to get this to work again was a composite of the suggestions on this thread:

/Applications/iWork '09
/Library/Application Support/iWork '09
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iWork09.Installer.plist
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iWork09.plist

Oct 23, 2009 7:44 AM in response to Michael Cucka

So, same problem. I spoke to Apple Care... First guy told me to wipe and reinstall snow leopard. I disagreed. He hung-up. Nice to know there are bad apples, even at apple!

Anyway spoke to a lovely lady who helped me we removed the application from applications, /Applications/iWork '09 and from /Library/Application Support/iWork '09. We then removed the icons from the dock and...

*most importantly emptied the trash. *

I then did another install, whilst believing that she was wrong and I would have the same problem but no she was right. If you think when you delete an app but click on the link in the doc the OS points out that the app is in the trash. So to full remove the app (in addition to the previous comments) you must remove the dock icons and the empty the trash.

I thought it was going to be successful when during the install the dock restarted, and the new iWork icons appeared. I told the support agent I would post this solution!

Hope this helps, and some-one can solve their problem too!

Cannot install iWork '09

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.