Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

tcpdump

I hav a Mac Pro running 10.6.1 behind a router. I'm trying to capture any traffic on just port 80, but no matter what command I use, no packets are captured.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Oct 21, 2009 10:27 PM

10 replies

Oct 22, 2009 6:01 AM in response to doug pennington

Hi, Doug--

Yes, indeed. Actually, I've tried a bunch of different port listeners of various stripes, and all give me absolutely nothing for any tcp activity whatsoever.

There must be something about my setup which is causing this.

Here's my specifics:

Mac Pro 2.28 Intel dual core
Cable modem receiving a dynamically assigned IP-->Router farming out int. addresses with range 192.168.2.2-100
The Mac has a Manually assigned int. IP of 192.168.2.5.
And is connecting wirelessly to the router.
All internet services, web, email, anything else I've tried, seems to be working normally.

Oct 22, 2009 9:28 AM in response to Jeffrey Ellis

If you're not sure which interface is active, you could run the following:
<pre style="border: 1px solid #ddd; padding-left: .75ex; padding-top: .25em; padding-bottom: .25em; margin-top: .5em; margin-bottom: .5em; margin-left: 1ex; max-width: 60ex; overflow: auto; font-size: 10px; font-family: Monaco, 'Courier New', Courier, monospace; color: #444; background: #eee; line-height: normal">netstat -rnfinet | sed -n 's/^default.* //p'</pre>

Or just try this:
<pre style="border: 1px solid #ddd; padding-left: .75ex; padding-top: .25em; padding-bottom: .25em; margin-top: .5em; margin-bottom: .5em; margin-left: 1ex; max-width: 60ex; overflow: auto; font-size: 10px; font-family: Monaco, 'Courier New', Courier, monospace; color: #444; background: #eee; line-height: normal">sudo tcpdump -Xns0 -i`netstat -rnfinet | sed -n 's/^default.* //p'`</pre>

The X option displays hex and ascii data.

Oct 22, 2009 1:35 PM in response to Cole Tierney

I just tried sudo tcpdump -Xns0 -i`netstat -rnfinet | sed -n 's/^default.* //p'`

(How are you doing that code insertion, BTW?)

And that gives a syntax error.

However netstat -rnfinet | sed -n 's/^default.* //p'

Gives this as a result:

bash-3.2# netstat -rnfinet | sed -n 's/^default.* //p'
en2
en3
en4

So I then tried on en2 and it worked. So thank you 🙂

I'm still not seeing the information I need, however. All that's coming in is stuff like this:

13:32:38.340152 IP 69.12.107.205.http > 192.168.2.5.62568: Flags [.], ack 6990, win 65535, options [nop,nop,TS val 51353994 ecr 346378498], length 0

What I'm actually looking for is the url that's being sent to the http server. Is there a command parameter to capture that?

Oct 22, 2009 2:00 PM in response to Jeffrey Ellis

(How are you doing that code insertion, BTW?)

Anything enclosed in back tick characters (`) is evaluated first. (Incidentally I just discovered that php treats back ticks the same way. Cool!)

And that gives a syntax error.

That makes sense to me since you appear to have multiple default routes. My mac only returns one.

What I'm actually looking for is the url that's being sent to the http server. Is there a command parameter to capture that?

You may see the url if you use the -A option with your tcpdump command. If you don't mind compiling from source another similar program is tcpflow. It reassembles the packets which makes it easier to look at.

tcpdump

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.