Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMTP Authentication (SASL on Postfix)

I am migrating my personal mail server from Tiger Server to Snow Leopard Server.

I have had Postfix on the Tiger Server working for years. I am having trouble configuring Snow Leopard to do the same. My set up for SMTP is to relay email from my respective Postfix server to my ISP, mail.speakeasy.net, and then authenticate with my speakeasy name/password. As I use SSL, I come in on port 995.

From Postfix's perspective, this involves configuring SASL.
Here are the relevant SASL configuration lines from postfix.conf

smtp sasl_authenable = yes

smtp sasl_passwordmaps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl/passwd

smtpd clientrestrictions = permit_mynetworks permit saslauthenticated reject rblclient zen.spamhaus.org reject rblclient bl.spamcop.net permit

smtpd recipientrestrictions = permit saslauthenticated permit_mynetworks reject unauthdestination check policyservice unix:private/policy permit

smtpd sasl_authenable = yes

When I attempt to relay through mail.speakeasy.net, here are the log file entries in my Snow Leopard SMTP Log files:

Oct 22 17:26:38 tin postfix/smtp[98906]: warning: SASL authentication failure: No worthy mechs found

Oct 22 17:26:38 tin postfix/smtp[98906]: D6EC5500F2: to=<cdaniels@speakeasy.net>, relay=mail.speakeasy.net[69.12.123.12]:25, delay=0.29, delays=0/0/0.28/0, dsn=4.7.0, status=deferred (SASL authentication failed; cannot authenticate to server mail.speakeasy.net[69.12.123.12]: no mechanism available)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

MacMine, Mac OS X (10.6.1), Snow Leopard Server

Posted on Oct 22, 2009 4:04 PM

5 replies

Jan 6, 2010 4:38 PM in response to prairie-guy

combining prarie-guy and kevin mck posts, heres what worked on my snow leopard 10.6.2 box:

error was:

Jan 6 17:05:10 cavell postfix/smtp[36921]: warning: SASL authentication failure: No worthy mechs found
Jan 6 17:05:10 cavell postfix/smtp[36921]: 08A7856920: to=<foo@bar.com>, relay=mail.telushosting.com[216.251.32.97]:25, delay=1.2, delays=0/0.01/1.2/0, dsn=4.7.0, status=deferred (SASL authentication failed; cannot authenticate to server mail.telushosting.com[216.251.32.97]: no mechanism available)

to fix:

stop mail using server admin or cmd line
in terminal window, sudo -s -H
cd /etc/postfix
cp -p main.cf main.cf.orig
vi main.cf

check the following lines are set up as follows:

smtp sasl_authenable = yes
smtp sasl_securityoptions =
smtp sasl_passwordmaps = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl/passwd

smtpd clientrestrictions = permit_mynetworks permit saslauthenticated permit
smtpd recipientrestrictions = permit saslauthenticated permit_mynetworks reject unauthdestination check policyservice unix:private/policy permit
smtpd sasl_authenable = yes

restart mail.

Feb 7, 2010 8:34 AM in response to trillian_42

this post was the answer to my month long aggravation with mail...THANKS TO ALL WHO CHIMED IN!

Apple & my DNS name provider only provided limited help as (understandably) one party won't help in the others camp.. *I can't believe I needed to perform these steps to make mail work???*

Well now that I've performed these instructions, mail works but have I compromised mail junk filtering?

This email address is new and would receive junk email on a previous mail server, but now I'm getting junk everyday. I'd like increase my junk mail filtering settings but will that lose all the settings I've made to the postfix config file and block all incoming & outgoing mail again?

Thanks!

Feb 9, 2010 7:15 PM in response to Kostas B

Well just as I suspected I adjusted my junk mail filter settings and I no longer can receive emails.

I put a check the 'enable junk mail filtering' which had a dash in the box after the changes to the postfix main.cf file as advised in this post.

and

I moved the minimum junk score slider away from 'cautious' to 'moderate'

restarted mail and nada...no incoming mail

actually one message came in an hour after being sent.

anyone?

Message was edited by: pgonzalez

SMTP Authentication (SASL on Postfix)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.