Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garbled text & blank or missing characters

Hello,

I'm running 10.6.1 and Safari 4.0.3 on a 13 inch MBP. In my main account, I have a problem with text rendering. Showed up first in Safari, but seems to also be in Preview and Mail.

Certain sites will show up as garbled; some characters have been replaced by blanks.

See a screen shot at http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/382621/safari%20problem.png

When it happens in Mail, it's only in certain html messages. If I change the format to plain text, the whole content is there.

I've tested another account on this computer, and it works fine. So it's something in this user.

Have also pulled everything out of this user's "Internet Plug-Ins" folder in this user's Library folder. And there are LOTS of things installed on the malfunctioning user, compared to the "bare bones" user that is working successfully.

Are there other user folders where there might be plug-ins I should check for?

Anyone else ever see anything like this? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

MBP 13 2.53 ghz, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Oct 24, 2009 7:03 PM

5 replies

Nov 3, 2009 6:45 AM in response to TildeBee

BEWARE!

I used the advice on this post to solve my long standing problem of missing characters. The 'resolve duplicates' command didn't do anything and this is where you need to be careful. When you go into Font Book to manually delete duplicates, make sure that you delete the mangled font, not the good one. Just click on all the options to establish which is the faulty one.

Thanks for sorting this for me, guys.

Garbled text & blank or missing characters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.