Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems copying files to a SMB share.

Hello,

Having some odd issues since moving to 10.6. It appears to be a combination of two problems.
We are in a PC based Active Directory environment. The Mac is bound to the AD and has a Mobile account configured. The problem is with copying files to the network Home folder.

On attempting to copy a file to the network drive I received a "The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items" error. This only seems to effect some files. I checked the permissions on both the file I was attempting to copy and the destination folder. I had full read/write access to both.

I attempted to copy the file with the terminal and got an error that I was unable to copy the extended file attributes of the file as I did not have permission.

Using the xattr command I could see that the file had the com.apple.TextEncoding attribute. I used the xattr -d command to delete the attribute and I was then able to copy the file with the Finder. Another file I tested that I could not copy had the com.apple.FinderInfo attribute. Deleting this attribute also allowed me to copy the file.

It seems that any file with extended file attributes in 10.6 cannot be copied to our SMB shares. I have tested this on all of our 10.6 Macs with exactly the same result. 10.5 has not had the same problem.

Now for the second problem. After copying the file as part of the testing I attempted to copy the same file over and replace the existing file and got the error "The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "" can't be read or written (Error code -36)". I attempted to this a number of times and found that approx 50% of the time it does copy with no error. Checking the Console gives me the following message for the times it does give an error :

27/10/09 4:03:27 PM /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder[153] Allocator race detected: transaction is not verified for -101/2 - test7.txt

Any light that can be shone on this issue would be great. This means for us that OS X 10.6 is fundamentally broken and can't be installed on any machines.

-Justin

iMac Intel, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Oct 26, 2009 8:14 PM

6 replies

Oct 27, 2009 1:38 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately deleting those files has had no effect. The first problem is definately down to the extended file attributes. If I create a text file test.txt it will copy, but if I rename it by removing the .txt to test, it is given an extended attribute com.apple.FinderInfo and refuses to copy. If I rename it back it removes the extended attribute and the file will copy again.

The second problem still exists, sometimes it will copy and other times it won't.

Justin

Dec 15, 2009 2:44 PM in response to mcshade311

Just posted on the Entourage Help Blog: Workaround for saving Office 2008 files to SMB servers in Snow Leopard

http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2009/12/workaroundfor_saving_office_2008_files_to_smb_servers_insn.html

According to Craig, a poster on the microsoft.public.mac.office newsgroup:

Changing the owner of the share to NETWORK SERVICE will solve the problem. I have tested this on a test share I set up during troubleshooting and it works! I have told my MS support rep about the workaround and she was going to spread it around. She mentioned that Apple appears to have a fix in the works but not to expect it to be released until February!

Problems copying files to a SMB share.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.