Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Contacts from Outlook

1444 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 30, 2009 11:39 AM by nick11570 RSS
nick11570 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 27, 2009 8:38 AM
I have 1000+ contacts in Outlook that I would like to transfer to my new iPhone. I have been told that I need to import them in v-card format, but I don't know how to save them in v-card format. When i try exporting them from Outlook, the only 2 export options are Export To A File and Export RSS Feed. Seems like I should choose Export To A File, but getting into v-card format on the next screen is not clear. How can I do this? Thanks.
  • neuroanatomist Level 7 Level 7 (31,685 points)
    Oct 27, 2009 9:11 AM (in response to nick11570)
    No need to export anything. As long as you're using Outlook 2003 or 2007, iTunes will pull the contacts from Outlook and sync them with your iPhone.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1386
    17" CD MBP, iPhone 3G, iPodTouch, Mac OS X (10.5.8),  since the ][e
    Oct 27, 2009 9:46 AM (in response to nick11570)
    You can only Export vCards one at a time from Outlook, since it doesn't support the group vCard format (Address Book does). So, you have three options - two free and one cheap.

One free way is to export the contacts as a .csv file (comma separated values, i.e. a spreadsheet), then import that into Address Book, mapping the fields appropriately.

The other free way is to select all the contacts in Outlook, then right-click one of them and select Forward Items. You'll then get an email with all your contacts as individual .vcf files. You can email that to yourself, or just copy all those files to a flash drive. However you get them to your Mac, select them all and double-click and Address Book will bring them in.

The cheap way is a $10 sharware utility, O2M (Outlook2Mac). That will export your contacts (as well as calendars and/or email) from Outlook in Mac-friendly formats.
    Oct 30, 2009 11:23 AM (in response to nick11570)
    Not unexpected. That's one advantage of the shareware program - it orders things properly and strips out the excess stuff.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.