Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Carriage return

Hi, I want to create a carriage return in a formula of numbers. In Excel it is ASCII 13. In Excel i get the Carriage return by: Chr(13). This doesn't work in numbers. Does anyone know the solution?

Regards, Wolfgang

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Oct 28, 2009 3:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2009 5:35 AM

CHAR(8232) is the Unicode line separator character. You can use it instead of a carriage return.

If the documentation is correct, CHAR(10) should not work. The parameter must be between 32 and 65,535, not including 127. I, too, recall there was at least one number between 0 and 31 that worked, counter to the documentation, but apparently that has been "fixed".
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2009 5:35 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

CHAR(8232) is the Unicode line separator character. You can use it instead of a carriage return.

If the documentation is correct, CHAR(10) should not work. The parameter must be between 32 and 65,535, not including 127. I, too, recall there was at least one number between 0 and 31 that worked, counter to the documentation, but apparently that has been "fixed".

Oct 28, 2009 5:21 AM in response to musi003

Hi Wolfgang,

The Function you are needing is CHAR, but Numbers seems to be fussy about CHAR(10). I'd swear that I've used it in the past with success, but when I try it now I'm getting the error: "The formula contains a number outside the valid range". There are simple workarounds though.

What you will do depends on how you plan to use the return character in your expression. If you are simply wanting to type multiple lines of text in a cell, go to the Table Inspector and de-select the Return Key Moves to Next Cell checkbox. Now your return key will insert a return character instead of moving the cell focus to the next cell. Uncheck the box to go back to normal operation. Another way to insert a return character is to use the Option-Return combination.

If you want to use the return character in a calculation, you can create a cell with only a return character in it and reference that cell in your expression. I've found that selecting a cell and typing 2 Option-Returns will create one return character in that cell.

Hope this gets you on track for now. Again, CHAR(10) should work, but seems to be broken.

Jerry

Carriage return

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.