Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD Trim Support like in Windows 7

Anybody knows about a Solid State Drive Trim Support like is in Windows 7 included?
I use a Intel X25-M G2 SSD and the new Firmware supports the Trim option of Windows 7. Is there any similar in Snow Leopard?
Any experience with SSD in Mac?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.1), Intel X25-M G2 SSD

Posted on Oct 28, 2009 6:39 AM

22 replies

Oct 28, 2009 10:47 PM in response to Solaris41

Solaris41 wrote:
Anybody knows about a Solid State Drive Trim Support like is in Windows 7 included?
I use a Intel X25-M G2 SSD and the new Firmware supports the Trim option of Windows 7. Is there any similar in Snow Leopard?

Do you really want something similar?
<http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/27/intel-pulls-ssd-toolbox-for-killing-drives-u nder-windows-7/>

Jan 11, 2010 10:02 PM in response to Matthew Runo

As the owner of a consulting company for over 10 years, and just having made the switch over to Mac for a lot of our equipment, it's quite surprising to me that Apple does not see the value of implementing something as critical and TRIM support for SSDs as soon as possible.

Apple prides itself in having a line of laptops that are very efficient, productive, and leading edge. Leaving out TRIM support for SSDs while Windows 7 has already addressed it puts Apple, in my eyes, way behind the curve.

SSDs are gaining popularity more and more every day - Hopefully they'll act before getting too much heat.

Jan 14, 2010 6:43 AM in response to Solaris41

Apple will have to improve SSD support sooner rather than later - after all, they're selling SSDs as BTO option, and they will become more important. I imagine that right now, they sell less than 1% of their machines with SSDs... maybe even less than 0.1% - only Apple knows but if the figure is very small, maybe they don't care so much about putting resources towards it.

In addition, SSD technology is a bit of a moving target. Only recently have SSDs even supported TRIM.

I'd advise against making heavy modifications to the system just to reduce writes. I need Spotlight - I use it all the time. I also need journalling and journalling information is used by TimeMachine to figure out differences (I think) so it's crucial that it's enabled. I don't think it makes sense to trade functionality for "less writes".

Apple will at some point, maybe in 1 or 2 years, have full SSD support and the system itself will have all kinds of smarts to deal with SSDs properly. Until then, I'd rather have a 50% degraded performance than missing features. A 50% SSD is still a lot faster than a HD. At least the X-25 is...

Jan 14, 2010 6:52 AM in response to Solaris41

I just read that some SSDs have idle time garbage collection. That is, they wipe deleted block just like the TRIM command would whenever there's a downtime. The function is in the SSD firmware so it's OS independent.

That, to me, sounds like a much better idea than an explicit TRIM command?!

I've also read up on SSDs that support TRIM. None of the Apple BTO models do...

Feb 10, 2010 12:12 PM in response to orthorim

orthorim -- without TRIM, an SSD has no way to know if a file has been deleted. All it sees from the SATA interface is READs and WRITEs. The SSD's idle time garbage collection is for it to reorganize its own free space (this is space that is overprovisioned, e.g. a 160GB drive might actually have 200GB of NAND flash storage space - this extra space is to help it improve write performance).

The bottom line is that for optimal performance, we need Apple to implement a TRIM mechanism within the HFS filesystem.

Alternatively, an SSD vendor could provide their own low-level utility that we could run occasionally to help the drive know about blocks belonging to files that have been deleted.

SSD Trim Support like in Windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.