8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2009 8:14 AM by dino_russ
Jeff Lambert Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
We have a Leopard Server on a Mac Pro, but I'd like to test the new features of SL server and not having another intel machine to check it out, I'd like to get a new mac mini server to do so. However, I'd like to transfer that installation to my current Mac Pro if the feature work as advertised. So first, can I do this? Second, can I install a client version of SL on the mac mini afterwards not to "loose" that machine?

TIA
Jeff

iMac core 2 duo, Mac OS X (10.6.1), 4Gb RAM
  • Bob in PA Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Hi

Simply based on "what's in the box":

You get a perfectly normal copy of Server, complete with it's own serial number.
    You get a very normal Mac Mini.

As far as I can see, you can indeed put the copy of server on another machine and go put a $29 copy of SL on the Mini.

I have re-installed the copy of Server several times on the Mini ....

Bob
  • Dah•veed Level 7 Level 7 (32,795 points)

It is not a normal Mac mini. Instead of a Super drive it has two 500 GB HDDs. If you need a Superdrive then you spend another US$99 to get the ext USB Superdrive for the MacBook Air or whatever 3rd party drive you prefer.

Since Server is the OS for this Mac, are you sure that it is a regular install disk for Server or is it a Restore DVD, which are Mac specific and would probably not be usable in a Mac Pro?

You can install the US$29 version of the Snow Leopard client, but again there is no Superdrive, so you will need to surmount this obstacle from the get go.

Dah•veed
  • reimer Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I thought that the server could make use of disc-drive sharing just like the MacBook Air's remote disc-drive sharing?

If this is so, they've already got the MacPro, so they wouldn't have to worry about a disc drive.
  • Dah•veed Level 7 Level 7 (32,795 points)
    That could well be true, but Apple does not mention that on their webpage about the mini Server, just the ext Superdrive. Does Mac OS X Server have disc sharing?

Da•veed
  • Umar A._Rahman Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    Yes you can, it's in the Mac Mini Setup manual:

"Setting Up DVD or CD Sharing
    If your ordered your Mac mini without the optional SuperDrive, you can use DVD or CD
    sharing to partner with another Mac or Windows computer that has an optical disc
    drive and is on the same wired or wireless network. Use this other computer to:

Migrate information to your Mac mini, if the other computer is a Mac (see “Migrating
    Information to Your Mac mini” on page 18)

Share the contents of DVDs or CDs or install applications (see “Sharing Discs with
    DVD or CD Sharing” on page 21)"

Urahman
  • dino_russ Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    David.Austin.Allen wrote:

It is not a normal Mac mini. Instead of a Super drive it has two 500 GB HDDs. If you need a Superdrive then you spend another US$99 to get the ext USB Superdrive for the MacBook Air or whatever 3rd party drive you prefer.

We are also looking at a mini as well and have the extra drives but we have a question that fits in with this discussion....

Since Server is the OS for this Mac, are you sure that it is a regular install disk for Server or is it a Restore DVD, which are Mac specific and would probably not be usable in a Mac Pro?

So what we are curious about can anyone confirm if this is a restore DVD or not? And then more specifically even if this is only a restore DVD not could the license key be used with a regular SL server install disk? Or is it specific to the restore DVD and mini server?

We have found that we have a use for the mini and its two 500 GB drives as a non server machine. So we wonder if we could use the license key with an install on a regular xserve. It would save us about $100 over getting a high end mini and buying a regular SL server license.

Any feedback on this would be helpful. Thanks

Russ Jacobson
  • varjak paw Level 10 Level 10 (169,805 points)
    So what we are curious about can anyone confirm if this is a restore DVD or not?

It is a restore set intended and licensed only for use with the Mini.

And then more specifically even if this is only a restore DVD not could the license key be used with a regular SL server install disk? Or is it specific to the restore DVD and mini server?

I do not know whether the license key would technically work, but the copy of Snow Leopard Server is licensed only for use with the Mac mini with which it ships. The software and license code cannot be used with another system without violating Apple's license.

Regards.
  • dino_russ Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    Dave Sawyer wrote:
    So what we are curious about can anyone confirm if this is a restore DVD or not?

It is a restore set intended and licensed only for use with the Mini.

And then more specifically even if this is only a restore DVD not could the license key be used with a regular SL server install disk? Or is it specific to the restore DVD and mini server?

I do not know whether the license key would technically work, but the copy of Snow Leopard Server is licensed only for use with the Mac mini with which it ships. The software and license code cannot be used with another system without violating Apple's license.

Regards.

Thanks very much, we appreciate the info, that helps us in planning and we will just spend the extra $100 and get the two SL regular server copies for our xserves.

Russ