Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

brand new Mac Pro tower fan suddenly runs full-tilt, CPU is idle

My Quad-Core MacPro tower is two days old. Initially, I was impressed with how quiet it was compared to my older Macbook Pro. Then on day two, for some reason it started running very loudly. It's not just a "little" loud- my wife walked into the room and asked what the noise was.

At first I thought this was just because I was hitting the CPU a bit (importing my iPhone library into iLife '09, and running Eclipse). But I tried powering it off & letting it cool down for a few minutes to no avail; about 10 seconds after powering up, the box gets loud again. I took a look at it with the side cover off, and it seems to be the fan near the top middle, between the power supply and the disk drive.

It can't be a dust issue, as the machine is only 2 days old (and I peeked inside anyway just to be sure- clean). I did do a software update over the past 24 hours or so, but I can't say that it occurred immediately after that. I also did a migration of my old apps and data from my MBPro, for what it's worth.

Why is it suddenly so loud? How can I monitor the fan speed and various system temperatures?

Thanks

EDIT: Activity Monitor shows a virtually idle CPU; there's nothing running that ought to be causing this, as far as I can tell.

Here are my temps: http://imgur.com/J6BLf.png

Message was edited by: armhold

Late 2009 Mac Pro Quad Core 2.93GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.1), added temps

Posted on Oct 28, 2009 5:31 PM

2 replies

brand new Mac Pro tower fan suddenly runs full-tilt, CPU is idle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.