Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to wipe 2G clean for another user.

How do I know I have wiped my data clean on my old 2G iphone to prepare phone to be used by another user?

I put my iphone into recovery mode and I choose to restore. ITunes started download and installed latest software successfully (I had original version software whatever came on the 2G phone, never upgraded to ver.3.). After process was finished and I reconnect to iTunes, I get the connect to iTunes screen or I can attempt to make an emergency call. If I reconnect to iTunes I get the Welcome to your New iPhone Let's get started activation screen.

I've read many threads here that you must go to Settings > General > Erase > Erase All Content and Settings to make sure you delete entirely. Well what if you can't get to that point? Will doing a installation of you software and no restoring from backup erase all my data?

thx.

Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Oct 30, 2009 11:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2009 2:04 AM

I assume the sim card with your original 2g has no cellular service connected with it, correct? The original 2g needs that sim to activate so that you can then wipe the phone settings>general>erase>erase all content and settings.

Activation for an original iPhone requires that its SIM card stays with that iPhone. If the original iPhone displays the "Connect to iTunes" screen, you can use that SIM card to re-activate your original iPhone, regardless of whether that SIM has a wireless service account/tariff still associated with it.

To re-activate an original iPhone that displays the "Connect to iTunes" screen:

1. Reinsert the SIM card used when original iPhone was activated and had a valid wireless service account/tariff.
2. Connect original iPhone to iTunes on a computer connected to the Internet

If that exact SIM was previously valid and used with that original iPhone, iTunes will re-activate iPhone. If the SIM no longer has a wireless service account/tariff associated with it, original iPhone will still be activated, but without any cellular service.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2009 2:04 AM in response to Paguyo

I assume the sim card with your original 2g has no cellular service connected with it, correct? The original 2g needs that sim to activate so that you can then wipe the phone settings>general>erase>erase all content and settings.

Activation for an original iPhone requires that its SIM card stays with that iPhone. If the original iPhone displays the "Connect to iTunes" screen, you can use that SIM card to re-activate your original iPhone, regardless of whether that SIM has a wireless service account/tariff still associated with it.

To re-activate an original iPhone that displays the "Connect to iTunes" screen:

1. Reinsert the SIM card used when original iPhone was activated and had a valid wireless service account/tariff.
2. Connect original iPhone to iTunes on a computer connected to the Internet

If that exact SIM was previously valid and used with that original iPhone, iTunes will re-activate iPhone. If the SIM no longer has a wireless service account/tariff associated with it, original iPhone will still be activated, but without any cellular service.

Oct 31, 2009 6:53 AM in response to wjosten

thanks wjosten for your reply.

Correct, the 2G has no cellular service right now.

I popped the SIM card out of the 2G phone and I noticed that on the SIM card it had a "3G" insignia on it. I am questioning now if this is the original 2G SIM card that came with the phone during it's activation or one of my many other AT&T iPhone SIM cards. I have since upgraded to 3G then moved on to the 3Gs phone. The original 2G iPhone SIM card may have been tossed in the trash.

Now my first question is must I need that original SIM card with my 2G iPhone to be able to activate? With the SIM card that I have in now I tried to activate the phone but I get a message that "We're sorry, we are unable to continue with your activation at this time".

My goal is to get to a point were I can get to settings>general>erase>erase all content and settings.

My second question is if I can't activate the phone, will what I have done so far (restore and update software to latest version) be sufficient to wipe my data? Or do I need to make a trip to AT&T for assistance to get the iPhone to activate by other means and then get to settings?

thx.

Oct 31, 2009 7:10 AM in response to Paguyo

Is the sim you're using associated with a wireless account that's still active?
If that exact SIM was previously valid and used with that original iPhone, iTunes should re-activate your iPhone. If the SIM no longer has a wireless service account/tariff associated with it, the original iPhone will still be activated, but without any cellular service. That's want you want.

How to wipe 2G clean for another user.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.