Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme will not power up

Airport has just quit working, no LED activity at all. I've unplugged it to reboot it, it comes up with a green LED for a split second and quickly changes to ambler, then after approx. 10 seconds turns off completely. I've also tried resetting to factory settings while it is booting up, it flashes amber for a few seconds then again the LED goes off.

Is my Airport dead? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kevin

MacPro 2x3GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 8 GB DIMM, 2x 20" Cinema Display, Kona 3, FCP 6.0

Posted on Nov 1, 2009 2:42 PM

4 replies

Nov 1, 2009 4:05 PM in response to kskelton

My Airport Extreme setup guide says this about a flashing light:

+For more information about the reason the light flashes, open AirPort Utility, select your base station, and then choose Manual Setup from the Base Station menu. Click Base Station Status to display information about the flashing light.+

+You can also select the “Monitor base station for problems” checkbox in AirPort preferences. If the base station has problems, AirPort Utility opens and walks you through solving the problems.+

Maybe you can get more information this way. Try disconnecting all your ethernet and USB cables too, in case an external device is messing it up.

Nov 1, 2009 7:24 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I would expect that that would be the case, but since the OP didn't say whether or not AirPort Utility can communicate with the base station, it was worth mentioning. I frankly believe that there is a hardware failure in either the base station or the power supply which will have to be replaced. But it's worth trying every diagnostic test possible before replacing things.

Nov 2, 2009 6:19 AM in response to Bob Timmons

That is exactly right. The Airport utility doesn't recognizing the device, because it will not stay powered long enough to link to it.

I've tried removing all peripherals as well (I should have mentioned that before hand).

It's still under warranty, so I guess it's going in for repair.

Thanks for the replies.

Kevin

Message was edited by: kskelton

Message was edited by: kskelton

Airport Extreme will not power up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.