10370 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2010 7:31 PM by Anic264b
Here's an article on troubleshooting MagSafe adaptors:
Since you were able to charge your Mac with a 60W adaptor, my guess is that your 85W adaptor is dead. The clicking noise makes me think it may have an internal short and you may be hearing a sparking noise. I would unplug it and use it no more.
If you have access to an Apple Store, you can take in your old adaptor for evaluation. It's possible it sustained damage from normal use, or it's possible that it had a manufacturing defect of some sort. If they feel that it was defective from the factory, you might possibly get a free replacement. No guarantees of course, but there were some faulty original MBP adaptors produced, and you could possibly have one of them.