Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text tracking jumpy with centered text alignment?

Am I the only one seeing center aligned text get all wiggly and jumpy when animating it's tracking with either the 'text tracking' behavior or by keyframe?

Why oh why did I upgrade to 4 from 2.1 where it works smooth and nice...

Mac Pro Dual 2.66, Mac OS X (10.6.1), Dual monitors, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, 5GB RAM

Posted on Nov 2, 2009 12:08 PM

15 replies

Nov 2, 2009 11:30 PM in response to Patrick Sheffield

Fixed resolution group does not make any difference.

In my current file, I have a layer with an image and some text centered below it with the effect in question applied.

I've also tested it all alone in a file, same thing, (in Motion 4) but the effect with text Left justified is smooth as expected...

maybe if I could figure out how to hack this so the left justified text also moves enough to the left to stay centered... I'm just mad that I even have to think about such hacks to get something that seems like it should still work clean, since it did in v2 on the same hardware and OS version.... only thing I changed on this system was to install v4 and the Patch in software update...

Nov 19, 2009 3:26 PM in response to minkman

Have not tried it under !0.6.2 yet.
My Hack solution was to do the text in After Effects, and render it out to place into my Motion projects.
I would just use AE for all of it, but Motion's realtime playback makes it much much faster to do the other things I'm doing.

I have another project to work on soon. WIll have to investigate it again under 10.6.2 on my system, but you say you have 10.6.2 so I'm not holding my breath..

what video card do you have? mine is a NVIDIA.

Message was edited by: Steve

May 10, 2010 1:00 PM in response to Steven Dodds

OK, I found a solution to this issue!

There seems to be a bug in v4 now, that if you just place text (click and start typing) rather than click and drag a paragraph box for it, it isn't scaling the box to fit the text as you change the tracking smoothly, so it keeps jumping around!

So the solution is to click and drag out a box big enough to hold your text at it's widest tracking width, or beyond. then when you center align the box doesn't change size and your text is nice again!

Text tracking jumpy with centered text alignment?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.