Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Padlock Icon appeared on Internal Drive with "CUSTOM PRIVILEGE"

I have a backup internal drive installed.
Had terrible permission problems and repaired both the primary and secondary disks using the original DVD disk.

But the backup drive now has a padlock icon and cannot be accessed. Command+I shows
"CUSTOM Privilege" for all users. I cannot change them nor can I find where to unlock this disk.

Users are:
(ME) = Custom
Staff = Custom
Everyone = Custom

Shouldn't there be and Administrator too?

How did this happen and what do I do to fix it?

10.5.7 MacPro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Nov 2, 2009 2:20 PM

3 replies

Jan 14, 2010 6:00 PM in response to mowby1kanoby

The o/p hasn't replied, but your answer saved me today (several months later). Thank you so much. I was racking my brains on this.

Just for posterity...

My problems seemed to have started with the Finale (Make Music) program not being able to write temp files. This has been a long term problem for me.

In an attempt to fix this, I changed the access privileges to Read & Write for all (me, unknown and all users) but at the highest level opting to apply to all folders and items. It took a very long time, but then the machine refused to boot and went into a loop of restarting until I forced shutdown with the power button.

After trying Drive Genius and the Leopard install disk to repair permissions and repair the disk, I restored the boot disk from the Time Machine backup and it rebooted but the designated Time Machine backup drive (an internal 1TB disk) and two partitions on the boot disk (also an internal 1TB disk) were locked with "custom" access that I could not change. Grr!

Now access is Read & Write for all and the machine appears normal - but only after going to your link (where I tried post this response but the thread is locked).

Thanks a bunch! 🙂

ps- Finale still can't write temp files, but that's another issue for another forum...

null

Padlock Icon appeared on Internal Drive with "CUSTOM PRIVILEGE"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.