Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Display not White

I purchased a new MB Pro 17" 2 days ago and have issues with the display. Specifically the white background as seen in most windows e.g. safari is what I would describe as a tainted white or perhaps off-white / cream white. I would liken the appearance to white material which has been exposed to the sun where is gets a very slight yellowish / aged appearance. I have read other posts regarding yellowish gradients on the bottom of the screen but this is a uniform off-white colour. It can be best seen by removing all the desktop objects and setting a solid white background.

I returned the laptop to the Apple Centre I purchased it from and the staff were very helpful and did their best to try an fix the problem. In fact they agreed the colour was noticeably different to several floor models both 17 and 15". To make a through comparison they carefully checked the screen calibration and even transferred the display profile to my 17" MB Pro to be certain the settings were the same. Nothing tried could get the display to match the more pure white on the store systems.

At this point I was offered a replacement system but unfortunately the unit provided had exactly the same display problem. At this point the Apple centre could do nothing more since they were not prepared to exchange / open another system. This then leaves me no other option but to live with the inferior display colour representation until I can afford to replace the Apple with a laptop that has a real white colour on the display. One comment made to me by the Apple centre Genius staff was to Apple systems for store display were loaded with different images and had been running longer than my system as a possible explanation.

I reject this simply because I have owned several previous model 17" MB Pros and never had this issue. I think if you produce a laptop in a professional range it ought to at least display true colours or close to this. I would hope this is not across the majority of the latest 17" MB Pro's but what can you do when neither the warranty, Apple care or 14 day grace period can cover the contingency when a store may have a batch of laptops with the same issue and but in this circumstance cannot continue to swap the laptop until one without the issue is found?

I went as far as reloading the OS again and bringing the system up to the latest release but this did not fix the issue. I also checked the display calibration gamma and white point etc. but all settings are the same as the systems in the store I looked at which are ok.

Is there anything else I can do in the way of resolving this issue? Any help would be appreciated. I have seen mention of display product numbers which may be related to this issue but I cannot see anywhere to verify this product information. I guess I am extremely disappointed I have spent a lot of money for a poor outcome.

Macbook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.6.1), Glossy Display, 2.8Ghz, 4GB

Posted on Nov 3, 2009 1:28 AM

3 replies

MacBook Pro Display not White

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.