Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way of mounting a server without it opening a window??

I am administering 40 emacs attached to an XSERVE G5. When the emac users go to open a large volume off the XSERVE with about 200 folders on it, a finder window automatically opens but then it can take up to 10 minutes before the window contents are shown. During this time the user is faced with 'beachball' and work halts.

Force-quitting the finder stops this and server remains connected, but I am looking for a better way of doing this.

Is there anyway in which this automatic opening can be supressed?

I have also posted this on the Panther forum

Lewis

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Admin 40 eMacs and XSERVE G5

Posted on Nov 3, 2009 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2009 8:24 AM

Two solutions: one pretty but might be annoying and one useful but not many users want to dirty their hands with CLI.

Solution 1: Move all folders for the share into One folder. So on initial mount of the Share, there is only one folder to 'display'.

Solution 2: There are command lines to mount shares, such as

`mount volume "afp://SERVERANME/sharename"`

This would mount that share and NOT pop-up a finder window. The CLI ickyness could be overcome with applescript, such as

`osascript -e "try" -e "mount volume \"afp://SERVERANME/sharename\"" -e "end try"`

and these can be added to startup scripts or made into applets so the flexibility is there.

Peter
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2009 8:24 AM in response to wolfdancer

Two solutions: one pretty but might be annoying and one useful but not many users want to dirty their hands with CLI.

Solution 1: Move all folders for the share into One folder. So on initial mount of the Share, there is only one folder to 'display'.

Solution 2: There are command lines to mount shares, such as

`mount volume "afp://SERVERANME/sharename"`

This would mount that share and NOT pop-up a finder window. The CLI ickyness could be overcome with applescript, such as

`osascript -e "try" -e "mount volume \"afp://SERVERANME/sharename\"" -e "end try"`

and these can be added to startup scripts or made into applets so the flexibility is there.

Peter

Nov 3, 2009 10:01 AM in response to Peter Scordamaglia

Thank you for your quick response. A trial of the first solution seemed to make no difference. I used CONNECT TO SERVER in the finder and I entered the command afp://Charon/Templates (our server and volujmeand the server window opened in the finder and then spent 10 mins displaying the finder contents.

Your other approach in AppleScript I haven't yet tried yet but I have looked the unix mount command and using its parameters - with no joy

lewis

Nov 3, 2009 10:27 AM in response to wolfdancer

it wlll take a bit more to use the mount command.. I forgot just how much Finder does for us 🙂

You would need to do something like this to have it all work...

`mkdir /Volumes/Templates && mount -t afp -o nodev,nosuid afp://Charon/Templates/ /Volumes/Templates`

This command is a bind mount. It checks if there is no mount point wiht the name Templates and if the is none then it makes one and then attempts to mount the share as Finder would.

Peter

Is there a way of mounting a server without it opening a window??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.