Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport wont pick up any networks after sleep

The airport on my new iMac sometimes will not pick up any networks after I wake it from sleep. There is usually about 10+ wireless routers it shows since i live in an apartment, but after I wake it it will not find my router or any others in the building. I have to restart the computer and then it finally will connect to my router and show the others. Anybody know how to fix this?

iMac 21.5", 4GB ram, 1 TB hard drive, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.1), MacBook Pro, iPhone 3GS 32GB

Posted on Nov 4, 2009 8:11 AM

21 replies

Nov 5, 2009 1:23 AM in response to ChadJ85

There has been a problem on certain Mac's for years with trouble re-connecting to wireless networks, this is a slightly different problem, but the same workaround might solve it.

1. Move "System Preferences.app" to "Applications\"
2. Delete all preferred networks in Network Preferences
3. Delete all Airport password in Keychain Access
4. Restart
5. Choose network from drop-down menu and enter password
6. Restart

Nov 6, 2009 6:20 AM in response to ChadJ85

I have the exact same issue with my new 21.5 Imac. When it goes to sleep for a long time it does not pick up ANY wireless networks after it awakes.
This is starting to a big problem because the only way to solve it is to boot the computer and I usually don't do that for weeks in order to be able to leave open a lot of files and programs.
So, when is this going to be solved?????

Nov 6, 2009 7:08 PM in response to ChadJ85

My new iMac (two weeks old) is having some of the same problems. Additionally it will at random just lose connection with my time capsule (and my other router). I cannot see why it is doing this but it is. My mid 2008 macbook pro has no problems staying connected though so I am hesitant to say that it is all software related.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Nov 7, 2009 2:41 AM in response to womanofkent

right I spoke to Apple and this is what we did
click top right screen on magnifying glass
type disk and enter
shows disk utility
click on it
click on macintosh hd
and then click on repair disk permissions it took about 3 mins
whilst doing this it did come up with a file that it couldn't repair - which he said was ok to ignore

once this was finished we put it into sleep mode and it connected to the wireless straight away.
I obviously need to test this some more and as I have lots of jobs to do today my computer will be resting most of the day so will see if this sorts it, if not I will contact apple support again

Nov 7, 2009 7:04 AM in response to womanofkent

Here is what the apple rep told me to do:

Go to the Library folder on your HD
Then go to Preferences, then System Configuration
Inside the System Configuration folder delete these things:
com.apple.airport.preferences.plist (I had three of these, delete them all)
networkinterfaces.plist
preferences.plist
restart your system

After completing these steps my iMac has found my time capsule and stayed connected for a half hour. It has even completed a backup where backing up last night was disconnecting me. Hopefully this will keep it working long enough for them to put out the 10.6.2 update.

Nov 7, 2009 7:27 AM in response to ChadJ85

I am having the identical problem. I'm also in an apartment building where there's usually 15 other networks to be found. But when it wakes from sleep the AirPort icon has an exclamation point and it finds NO networks. I've tried everything to revive it but nothing works except restarting the iMac (which fixes it every time, but is obviously inconvenient).

Airport wont pick up any networks after sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.