Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A2DP support

Hi,

reading some topics it seems there are some users who would like to use a bluetooth stereo headset on their macs. Lokking at the market there are more and more nice stereo headphones devices running on A2DP.

Whether you hace a matching Bluetooth 2.0 or not, the big disadvantage that there is no support on Apple's side at all. Many guys on Windows PCs can use this cool feature, on Macs we miss it.

Can anyone tell some details about Apple's ambitions/reasons for their behaviour regarding this topic? I think many people would like to use such headsets (even if there is only one manufactured by Apple).

Regards,

Lars.

Posted on Nov 6, 2005 8:29 AM

3 replies

Nov 7, 2005 3:03 AM in response to Lars Engel

I allready bought a Stereo Headset from Anycom not knowing that Apple does not support it (How could I, Apple is normally Plug & Play). I had to learn it the hard way from the Anycom Support. They told me that Apple does not support the A2DP protocoll/stack!?

I know now that A2DP is not supported. But which stacks then is Apple supporting? I found no comments on this in the Bluetooth support main Page: http://www.apple.com/bluetooth/

What kind of stacks/protocolls does Version 1.5 Update Support?

What does Bluetooth 2.0+EDR support?

Why is Apple not (yet) supporting A2DP?

- Sven

Nov 7, 2005 5:08 AM in response to Sven Nueesch1

You need a Bluetooth device which supports the headset profile and either an internal Apple Bluetooth module or a D-Link DBT-120 USB adapter: http://www.apple.com/support/bluetooth/

Have a look for a device which supports the headset, handsfree and A2DP profiles. Then you are most compatible and ready for the future but your Anycom BSH-100 (right?) should have headset support on board.

Using a headset needs several steps even needed if you have the latest computer or Mac OS X release. Please make sure to follow them in order.
  1. Download the Apple Bluetooth Firmware Updater
  2. Install it
  3. Launch it from Applications > Utilities > Bluetooth Updater
  4. Apply it to your adapter (takes very long).
  5. Start the Apple Bluetooth Assistant and select Headset. Do not use anything else!
  6. Make your headset Bluetooth visible. For your Anycom hold the Vol Up & ON/OFF button for 4 seconds.
  7. Now select the headset in System Preferences > Sound.
In most cases step 3 is missed. You have to start the installed updater yourself (do not ask me why). Step 4 fails if your Bluetooth USB adapter is not supported by Apple and you have to go for a D-Link DBT-120 USB adapter.

Normally you call it profile, service or how you like it. Technically it is a protocol stack: several protocols layered on top of each other creating this service.

Nov 10, 2005 2:14 PM in response to Alexander Traud

*Reposted form another Thread **

I have these headphones and they work great!

http://www.aircable.net/hifi-headset.html

5+ hours of battery life and they're USB rechargable. It comes with an A2DP dongle. when you plug them in to any usb port, even the one on my keyboard, they just appear in the sound preferences as "Bluetooth Audio Dongle". i just select it as my output and it just works. No software to install.

The sound is pretty good. Not "audiophile" quality. But good enough for me while I'm working at the office or in my hotel on the road.

I talked with the company and they're really nice people. They're also coming out with an iPod adapter soon. And, the dongle will work with other A2DP devices.

Hope that helps.

- Dustin

A2DP support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.