Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some questions about the Mail Server

Hello everyone,

I am just looking for some information. My company is looking to get a new mailserver cluster (we are an ISP) and of course, I would love to recommend XServes running the latest and greatest from Apple 🙂 Here are the questions that I have and hopefully someone can answer them so I can present it to the boss.

1) Webmail. I see that Squirrelmail comes standard, but are there any other webmail apps (like @mail or something) that are available as a replacement? Note: I am sure that any webmail server could be downloaded and used, just wondering if there are any known good replacements.

2) We have a need for users (IMAP/POP) to be able to log in and change their own passwords and/or have their password sent to them via email if they have forgotten it (many users type it into Outlook Express once and forget it, so they can get mail, but cannot log in to other parts of our current system)

3) It should integrate with our radius servers (linux)

4) We use a piece of software called M&A, and we need to be able to script (perl I am assuming) the creation of users when they are created in this M&A software. Possible?

5) Ideally we would be able to store other user information such as MAC addresses of Cable modems, routers that the customer has, etc, though this may be a part of the Server software that is separate but integrated so that we could query it and insert needed information into other systems.

6) the mail server has spam controls. Are these on a server only basis, or can there be a setting for the server that (as in our current system) marks suspected emails as spam by inserting [SPAM <score>] into the subject line, and that the user can either turn up or down, or on or off completely?

7) Viruses. What is in place on the Server to scan all incoming mail for viruses and subsequently alert the user when they are receiving an infected file (most users are Windows users BTW)

8) What kind of controls are available if any to ensure that a user is not spamming? Our current system has a #of messages allowed per day as a server setting and if a user is not located within our system (e.g. not on a connection provided for us) it will not let them send without auth.

9) we have somewhere around 6,000 users and we send out somewhere around 100k emails per day on average. How many machines would I need in a cluster to handle that load?

I am sure I am not thinking of everything, but, those will get me started. Unfortunately this will be an uphill battle as the people around me believe that Windows is the best thing since sliced bread, but I want to give it a shot to show them how well an Apple solution would fit our needs

G4 Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.5.2), I CAN HAZ RAM PLZ?

Posted on Nov 5, 2009 12:13 PM

There are no replies.

Some questions about the Mail Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.