Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fairplay Version 2 protected files not playing

Recently got a 32gig 3rd generation Touch and noticed some older music and videos I bought through iTunes won't play. Videos say they cannot be played. Music just refuses to start, if I press play it pauses itself. Newer music and videos bought through iTunes store and my own recordings work fine.

The only thing that everything that won't play has in common is that under info they list "Fairplay Version: 2" Everything that does not list a Fairplay version will play. Wikipedia says that Fairplay is the old protection Apple used to use. I can upgrade the songs through iTunes to the non protected version (for $.30 each), but I can't seem to fix the videos.

3rd gen Touches don't recognize Apples old DRM? Can this be fixed? Anyone else notice this?

Posted on Nov 5, 2009 4:34 PM

3 replies

Jan 13, 2010 4:44 PM in response to Lee Abraham

I am having the same problem with AppleTV and Itunes not playing Fair Play version 2 content after upgrading to Windows 7 So far Support for the ITunes store has not come up with a solution. I am very concerned since I have a significant amount of content that is affected by this problem. I haven't checked yet whether my Ipod's will play this content but will now. However, rebuying the content as the earlier post suggests is not an option since the content affected - TV seasons - equates to roughly $500 in purchases.

Fairplay Version 2 protected files not playing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.