Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding a second time capsule

Ok I am trying to add a new 2TB TC dual band to my network. My original TC is a 1TB model. My house is wired with ethernet throughout with a powered switch. I have set up the new 2TB capsule at the cable modem and I feed the switch from it. I reset both TCs to factory defaults. I have no problem setting up the 2 TB TC. When I try to add the 1TB capsule to extend the wireless network, it works fine if I do it wirelessly, but if I try to extend the network by connecting it with ethernet everything goes to ****. I am using the selection "connect to a network using ethernet to extend the network or create a second network." Where I get confused is that the next screen ask you to select the device or network the TC will connect to using the ethernet. Do I select the 2TB TC or select my wireless network. I would like to have both timecapsules connected via ethernet to make the backup processes go faster.

Imac 20", Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Nov 5, 2009 7:36 PM

3 replies

Nov 5, 2009 8:24 PM in response to jedicpa

Welcome to the discussions!

+"Where I get confused is that the next screen ask you to select the device or network the TC will connect to using the ethernet. Do I select the 2TB TC or select my wireless network."+

Apple's guided setup is contradictory and confusing at best. In this case, you would select the 2TB device to connect to because you are using ethernet. (You don't want to connect to the 2TB using wireless because you will be using ethernet to connect)

The 1TB TC will be "creating a wireless network" with the same name, security, radio mode, channel and password as your main network. The "extend a wireless network" setting is only used if the devices are being connected by wireless only.

Frankly, it would probably be easier to do this using Manual Setup. If you need to start over, that would be the best approach to take. We can provide a step by step if you want to go the Manual Setup route.

Nov 6, 2009 7:32 AM in response to jedicpa

Happy to help. I understand that the 2TB TC is your "main" router and we'll be adding the 1TB TC and setting up a wireless network to provide greater coverage.

You will need write down some Wireless settings that your 2TB device is using, so the first thing would be to Open AirPort Utility, select the 2TB TC and click Manual Setup. Then click the Wireless tab just below the row of icons at the top of the setup window. Write down the settings for:

Wireless Network Name
Radio Mode
Channel (It's probably Automatic now, but please change to Channel 3)
Wireless Security
Password
Update to save settings

You may already have stored some settings in the 1TB, but we'll work around that as much as possible.

Now in AirPort Utility, select the 1TB TC and click Manual Setup
Click the Internet icon at the top of the setup page
On the next page at the bottom, look for the setting for Connection Sharing. Set it to "Off (Bridge Mode)"

Click the AirPort icon at the top of the setup page and then click the Wireless tab just below the icons
Wireless Mode should be "Create a wireless network"
Wireless Network Name...exact same name as on your 2TB
Radio Mode...exact same setting as on your 2TB
Channel...change to Channel 10
Wireless Security...exact setting as on your 2TB
Password...exact setting as on your 2TB

Now click the AirPort icon at the top of the setup window, then click the Time Capsule tab
Here you will enter the name of your device, device password, etc. Make sure that it has a different name than your other TC.

Update to save settings and you should be all set. Give that a try and please report back on your findings.

You may need to change the channel setting on one or both of your devices for best performance depending on other networks around you. The important thing to remember is that the channels on your devices must be at least 5 channels apart or more to minimize the chances of interference. The ideal setting would be Channel 1 on one TC and Channel 11 on the other but Channel 1 is usually already occupied if you have other wireless networks around you.

Adding a second time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.