Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multi core processing??

Hi, I've heard that multi core processors such as those in the new iMac and in the Mac Pro are only any good if the software knows how to use them properly. I am wanting to use Apples Logic Studio software, would I be better off with say a 3.06G core 2 duo, or a 2.66G i5?? For Logic only, I couldnt care about games or anything else.

macbook core duo - soon to be upgraded, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Nov 6, 2009 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2009 7:00 AM

Think of it this way: Intel has already announced that they are sunsetting the C2D line of processors, so purchasing something that is about ready to get phased out doesn't make much sense to me as it will quickly become outdated (some could argue that it already is outdated with the number of quadcore and higher procs coming out).

If anything, purchase one of the quad-core models to get more out of it down the line. More and more software is becoming multi-core aware, so even while an app you use now doesn't support it, it may eventually.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2009 7:00 AM in response to stilts

Think of it this way: Intel has already announced that they are sunsetting the C2D line of processors, so purchasing something that is about ready to get phased out doesn't make much sense to me as it will quickly become outdated (some could argue that it already is outdated with the number of quadcore and higher procs coming out).

If anything, purchase one of the quad-core models to get more out of it down the line. More and more software is becoming multi-core aware, so even while an app you use now doesn't support it, it may eventually.

Nov 6, 2009 8:51 AM in response to stilts

I would def. recommend not getting a C2D iMac. Like ^he said. It's getting phased out. i5/i7 is just this year. Logic is a pretty processor intense program and only gets more intense as you lay on plug-ins/effects etc.

Mulit cores is a must for decent operation IMO.
If you can stand the wait (i ordered an i7 on the 20th) then rock the quad core man, you wont regret it.

Nov 6, 2009 9:15 AM in response to stilts

Thanks to you both. I currently use a core duo (not core 2 duo) macbook with 2G ram and I am starting to max it out all too often with plugins in Logic. I think even the 3G core 2 duo with lots of RAM would be much better, but I think you're probably right I'd be better off with an i5/7 in the long run.

Just a shame I can't go buy one tomorrow!

Thanks again.

Multi core processing??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.