Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PS3 connection to Airport Extreme 802.11n

I have a new iMac 27" and new Airport Extreme (802.11n WiFi). I own a 15 powerbook, and new PS3 Slim (with updated firmware 3.01). I'm able to connect wirelessly to the internet on my iMac and Powerbook. My PS3 can not find my wireless network. I have gone thru forum after forum and tried everything I can find. Still no luck.

Using Airport extreme base station 7.5
5 GHz / 2.4 GHz set to Automatic - 802.11 a/n - 802.11b/g/n (Channels are 149 and 1)
Wireless security WPA/WPA2

I tried adding the PS3 MAC address thru Access Control. Still doesn't find the network.

I tried just using 2.4 Ghz. Didn't work.

I tried scanning for the networking on my PS3. I also tried manual set up at stated in the PS3 troubleshooting forum.

My new Airport Extreme is approx. 30 ft away from my PS3. That shouldn't be an issue, because my old router was a G and it was able to connect from the same distance.

I'm out of ideas... Any help would be appreciated.

iMac 27in, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Nov 6, 2009 1:46 PM

4 replies

Nov 6, 2009 7:17 PM in response to dray1510

I am also having a similar issue: Nothing except my mac mini can see (or connect) to my Airport extreme's wireless network. This started when I turned off my guest network.

I have naturally tried turning that back on although I have no idea how that affects the rest of my network.

I have tried most every other configuration/setting/reset and I still have no luck.

I had been buying linksys routers for years and I never managed to get one to last past 2 years old. I bought the Airport extreme hoping I could escape that endless cycle, but it seems even the airport is no different. I would really like to not have to get another, is there anything I can do?

P.S. I also have a PS3 that will not connect, but again every wireless device minus the mac mini will not connect.

Nov 8, 2009 3:19 AM in response to dray1510

dray1510

I was going to ask if you have the Airport set on "n" only, but notice you have it on "b/g/n". I tend to use "g/n" only but I cannot believe that causes the issue.

What I would attempt firstly, is to disable any security and see if the PS3 finds it. Then you can take it from there.

For the record, I have my PS3 connected to a Time Capsule and prior to that an Airport Extreme. In both cases it posed no problems at all.

Nov 26, 2009 10:13 AM in response to Nazir

I have a slightly different problem. For years I had a PS3 connected to my netgear wireless router, the network being hosted by my iMac. Then I "upgraded" to AExtBS. All of a sudden, the PS3 can still "see" the network but it can't connect to the internet. It shows good signal strength and I have triple checked that the WEP key is correctly entered. I have seen some reference on these boards to the AExtBS using a kind of security ("NAT"?) that is not compatible with PS3 but I am not savvy enough to figure it out. I tried making the computer the host of the internet connection rather than the motorola DSL modem, but that just disabled the DSL connection. Any ideas? I'm considering going out and buying a new (netgear) router, it's just so frustrating.

Or a 50' network cable. I guess that would also solve the problem.

Nov 28, 2009 5:27 PM in response to bglackin

I solved my problem. I went into the airport admin utility and noticed it was describing my WEP security protocol as "transitional." I hypothesized that the WEP protocol might be non-optimal. I changed the protocol to WPA/WPA2 Personal and then re-configured my PS3 to that protocol also. It works fine now.

I hope this helps someone else.

PS3 connection to Airport Extreme 802.11n

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.