Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Colour StyleWriter 2500 on Mac OS X

My Epson colour printer has died, but I have a fully functional Colour StyleWriter 2500. However, the connection is an 8 pin mini-din. I have found a source of a converter, 8 pin mini-din to USB, but I am not sure if this will work with the Mac OS X (10.5.8). I don't want to spend any money! However, the cost of the connector and the download of a driver would be much cheaper than a new printer. The StyleWriter produces excellent copies anyway.
Any suggestions welcome
Dunc.

PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 6, 2009 11:27 PM

2 replies

Nov 7, 2009 5:24 PM in response to Dunc.

lpstyl Package Description

Release Date: February, 2003

lpstyl is an open-source printer driver for Ghostscript supporting 7 Apple Stylewriter printers. On Mac OS X Jaguar and later, printing with lpstyl requires cups-o-matic (a CUPS filter script), Ghostscript (an open-source PostScript interpreter), and a foomatic PPD for each supported printer. The cups-o-matic filter and the foomatic PPDs are included in the installation package.

This package supports only serial connections. It does not support AppleTalk connections on StyleWriters equipped with that option. The driver only supports a 360 x 360 dpi resolution.

The driver communicates directly with the printer rather than going through a normal CUPS backend.

It is highly recommended that you visit the StyleWriter page written by the packager of this printer driver. It is very informative and contains information not covered on this page.

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/macosx/lpstyl

Colour StyleWriter 2500 on Mac OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.